1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two relatively simple questions for the pros

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rojo412, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I kept meaning to ask these things, just remembered that now.

1) Can you clearcoat over TruOil?

I love the look and effect of using truoil and it's super easy to work with. But if I wanted to make a stronger, glossier finish on top of it, is that possible? If so, what type of finish(es) would work? Is there a particular technique for that as well?

2) When changing scale length, if you want to emulate pickup positions, how do you adjust that?
    Say I'm building a P copy, but with 32" scale and wanted the pickup in the "Sweet spot"... would I measure the distance from the nut, then multiply that by .094?
    Or does that even matter?

I've been wondering on those for a while... so any advice is much appreciated.

2. enzodm

enzodm

Mar 3, 2016
    Italy
    2) by 0.94 (careful with zeroes ;) ).

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I wouldn't hesitate to put water based poly over well cured truoil. No opinion on others finishes; as I don't use them.

rojo412 likes this.
  4. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yeah, my bad. .94
    :wacky:

5. I can't claim "pro" but I can say I have sprayed rattle can Duplicolor over truoil with good results. Seems like I sprayed Deft or Krylon clear over truoil and that worked fine also. Just let it dry thoroughly before you put anything else over the truoil.