1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Reviews by Justin: Thomas Martin @ Juilliard and Max Dimoff @ Carnagie

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Justin K-ski, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Lots of cool classical bass stuff going on around here...

On October 4 the great Thomas Martin gave a class here at Juilliard. I'm sure he needs no introduction but in case anyone forgot, Thomas Martin was principal of LSO, teaches at Guildhall, and has released 4 CDs of Bottesini.

His class here was great. Three students from the school played. With each performer he worked towards achieving the composers original intention. Drawing on the composers career as well as other compositions, Mr. Martin is clearly not only a great player but also a very complete musician. With a movement of Bottesini, he discussed a more opera like phrasing on the basis of Bottesini's opera conducting influencing the way he heard his own melodies. A short piece by Prokofiev was compared to the composer's other works. Finally a student's Vanhal was made more "classical". All in all, it was an excellent class and I would encourage anyone who has the chance to play for Mr. Martin.

On the 7th Carnegie hall hosted the Cleveland orchestra for three concerts, the second of which featured the great Thomas Quasthoff signing three Mozart concert arias including "Per Questa Bella Mano". Mr. Quasthoff was fantastic, despite reports of illness threatening his performance. For his encore he included a slightly bluesy solo version of the spiritual "Swing low, sweet Chariot". Unfortunately Mr. Dimoff played the "Per Questa..." solo from the section without solo tuning. During the break he explained that this was just easier for everyone involved, however it was hard to hear him, even in the acoustically sound Carnegie. Regardless, Mr. Dimoff was spectacular, he played the solo part convincingly, in an appropriate classical stlye. The second half of the concert was Bruckner 5, which I unfortunately couldn't stay for, as I had agree to split the ticket with a brass playing friend.

Until next time,

2. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    Also known as "Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac."

3. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Justin where is Carnagie Hall? I only know of Carnegie on 57th and 7th.

4. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Jan 24, 2002
    Frankfurt, Germany
    NS Design Endorsing Artist
    He spelled it both ways. Ever heard of a typo?

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The song is called "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".

Sounds like an interesting concert.

6. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Paul, like you and Justin, Justin and I are both friends and I was just busting his chops. Nothing bad, just some friendly humor.

7. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Is this the same Thomas Martin who makes double basses?
    I wish I could have seen that Bruckner 5.

8. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    It is indeed. He is a world class play and teacher. I've never played one of his basses but I've heard that they reflect the same level of discipline and artistry found in his playing.

9. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    And if one is thinking of the Dizzy Gillespie vocal, it is, as Paul said, "Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac."

10. You get get Mr. Martin's Bottesinni recordings at http://www.emusic.com
    He has a great sound, and is an amazing player.

11. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Mr Martin is coming to UGA for 2 days of masterclasses in a few months. Cant wait.