1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Two sets of rotosounds and unintonable E string.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by r05c03, May 1, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    In the past 5 months I have acquired two sets of Rotosounds and I have had trouble intonating both sets. This applies only to the E string, both sets have been too flat. One set were the nylon wrapped strings, which I though may be to the extra length of my Artcore (total string length requirement, not scale length). However yesterday I tried a set of Jazz 66 on my Bongo and the E was flat even with a maxed out saddle. Anyone lese have this problem? Should I contact the company?

2. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Did you do a neck adjustment? You may need a set-up. If the neck is off it will make intonating more difficult. If your set-up is fine there shouldn't be a problem especially with roundwounds.

3. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been able to intonate every other set of strings that I have put on the Both Bass (4 other sets, Rotosound Monels, Fender Flats, Ernie Balls, GHS Brite Flats, D'Adarrio Semi Rounds, and GHS Boomers). I adjusted the E saddle on my Bongo until it came off of the adjustment bolt and the string was still flat as hell at the 12th fret. I do not think it is the neck. I do my own set ups all the time and have only had this problem with my last two sets of Rotosounds

4. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Every now and then I rumors of poor quality with Rotosounds. I've never had your problem, but the three times I've ever used Rotos, the E would start unraveling from the top as soon as I started putting it on. The dealer insisted it was because I cut the string first, which I did not. So the third time, I started string up in the shop, and guess what happened? Got my money back that time!

I'll stick with my usuals--Carvin (not too shabby sounding-and cheap to boot!) and Alembics, when I can find them. Fodera's Wooten sets are nice too.

5. I have experienced similar with Roto's. The occurrence of problems frequent enough to make me decide to never buy them again. Then again could be just my bad luck and other people seem to like them just fine. Just my personal experience :)

6. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Can't intonate, or they fall apart?

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it was 1991 for me... I finally found something like rotos that I could get locally. For about 4 years I'd buy 2 sets at a time since it seemed every other pack had dead string or 2.

try some SIT Rock Bright Stainless or D'addario Pro Steels.. similar but with beter QC IMO/E

8. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I've heard the Billy Sheehan sets were fairly notorious for dead strings; he made them stop selling them. True or not? I don't know, but given my experience with them, I'm inclined to believe it.

9. In my experience both !! :eek:

The final clincher was with a set that had such crazy intonation I felt compelled to remove them after a few hours. When I removed them each of the strings coiled up like a loose spring, I assumed where the outer winding had slipped on the core. I spoke to a guy at the Bass Centre about it and he just looked skyward, the way people do when they've heard a story a thousand times, since that day I've never bought another set.

I stick to Status or Fodera strings these days but have used others in the past and not had the same problems

10. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I always seemed to get bad 'D' strings with my Rotos.

My last two sets were too flat as well, couldn't get them to intonate.

Too bad, I like the tone on these strings, but I will not buy them anymore. D'addario, Ernie Balls and even Fender stings intonate prefectly on the same bass.