"Two Spirit" -The Native American perspective of LGBTQ people.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by experimental bassist, Apr 30, 2012.

1. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    "Two Spirit" - what can we learn today from the historical Native American idea that celebrated, embraced, and venerated sexual and gender variance?

"Two Spirit" is the Native American reference to individuals among their peoples who were gay, lesbian, or gender variant, and contrasted to many western ideas that unfairly vilify such people, instead they were celebrated, valued, and revered for their capacity to have "two spirits".

"Two Spirits" were found almost universally in tribes across North America, and were often healers, medicine men, fortune tellers, diviners, nurses, among many other roles, and held special rank during festivals and celebrations.

Dancing to Eagle Spirit Society - TWO SPIRITED PEOPLE

Two-spirit - Psychology Wiki

Two-Spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

wa1.jpg

wa2.gif

wa3.gif

Catlin_-_Dance_to_the_berdache.jpg

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Interesting.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Cool stuff. I think that the native Americans generally had a unique insight into some issues that we struggle with even today.

What's interesting is that some Asian/South pacific cultures have a similarly neat view of the issue. Where LGBT, and so on doesn't necessarily mean anything negative at all but rather it's viewed as a sort of 3rd gender.

4. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    I forget what movie it was, but it had a gay Native American character and he was treated no different than any other tribe member. The story line was something like this fellow was not treated badly, if anything the Native American ideal gave him and those like him much respect. I remember thinking how these so-called (at the time) "Savages" had a much more civilized view of homosexuality than the so-called more advanced White race.

5. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Cool

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Little Big Man starring Dustin Hoffman.

7. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    little big man... indeed

8. The gender binary construct, while convenient, really does leave a significant group of people not only left out but put in a really sucky place. Here's hoping that changes.

I'm confident it will.

9. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I did not know that about Asian/South Pacific cultures. Thank you for sharing that.

10. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Good point, that movie did have a "Two Spirit" character called "Little Horse" if I remember correctly.

Incidentally, the "Contrarian" part in that movie was not just a gag (where he rode his horse backwards, talked backwards and said the opposite of what he meant), but was also based on a Native American concept, the Heyoka.

Heyoka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for bringing that movie up, haven't seen it in years. :)

11. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Agreed on all points. :hyper:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021