Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

two strings questions....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 28, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, my band sometimes plays in drop d, but when in drop d, the d is really flubby. like its just loose. if i use a 105 instead of a 100, the tension will change...correct?

also, will i need to get a set up?

also, im debating this whole flatwound thing. now, i kill normal roundwound strings within a few days, so i get elixirs. are flatwounds just going to be dead right out of the box? and will my acid sweat make them just sound even worse?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Heavier gauge will mean higher tension yes. Should only have to adjust action and intonation with a heavier gauge.

You might look at maybe halfrounds if you still want some brightness. Im not sure what to tell you about the acid sweat, but I know your not the only one so hopefully someone will chime in with some more info there.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok cool.

its wierd though, because before i heard it was a no no to switch guages without a set up, i did so numerous times and had no problems. oh well, all stuff i can do myself.

thanks

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I have semi-acid sweat. Stainless and Nickel steel are ok around me.. Bronze goes nasty in a week or so...

To keep your Bright strings sounding bright longer, try cleaing them with any number of fretboard/string cleaner. It makes a difference, even with coated strings.

Have you tried Stainless steel strings?

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah, been there, done that, elixirs are the only thing that really lasts for me.