Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two tech issues: 1. Shielding a control cavity & 2. bridge modding a Hartke 7000

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whacker, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Okay, for all you techies: 1. I've got a Fender Jazz Bass Plus V from the early '90s, and I discovered it wasnt's very well shielded internally, thus giving a bit of the old 60 Hz hum. I'm planning on just buying some copper foil tape (whatever the width) and after removing all the components inside, just run that stuff back and forth until it completely covers the inside and back cover. Is it necessary to attach a soldered wire to the tape for connection to ground, or will the fact that the controls will be resting against it provide enough of a proper path?

2. I've got a Hartke 7000 in great shape that I use as a backup for and Eden WT-800. The only thing is, the two amp sections in it are not bridgeable. I primarily play through an 8 ohm Eden 410 XLT. I've spoken to one tech who said it'd be possible to convert it so that it could be, but does anyone here know of anyone ever doing this? It sure would make a good amp a whole lot better.

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Man I have gone over this same idea with the Hartke so many times with several different tech's.
    Everyone I talk to says that it can be done....but it's gonna cost pretty much an unbelieveable price to do it. It's basically having to completely replace the internal transformer and board. I have a Hartle 7000 and although it's unique in being a "dual amp" head...it can be somewhat limiting so therefore I use it as a back-up now. Hope it helps but I just went with a pre/power amp setup.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    No idea on Hartke, but re. the grounding, yes, you should interconnect all copper shielding to a comon ground using well-soldered (be ware of 'cold' solder) wires, preferably of equal length.

You can also do a TalkBass search on shielding - there have been quite a few good threads on the subject in the past.

4. Thanks guys, for both your posts. Some of this has become back-burner for me since I first posted, but I can use all the info that's out there.

Whacker