Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two Tens vs. one fifteen?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrmoore, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mrmoore

mrmoore

Jul 19, 2005
    Good mornin'. I use a 2X10 atop a single 15" cab. If I went to (2) 2x10's and ditched the 15", it sure would be alot more convenient. But Would I lose punch from the 15"? The areas of (2) 2x10's vs. 1-15" is close, and even slightly smaller. So, I don't think I would be moving more air with the (2) 2x10. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Mark

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would hold onto the 15, though I am a big fan of 15's. Depending on what your 2x10 can handle, maybe add a 4x10 instead. You wont loose much thunda that way.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    The 10s and 15 are probably going to have different sweet spots. 10s typically have more upper mids and the 15 may have more lows.

Depends on what you after. Give it a shot.

You may get a 3db reduction in volume that would be equivalent to cutting your power amp wattage in half. Then your amp may put out less power at 8-ohm then 4-ohm for another 1-2 dB loss...

Dave

4. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Speaker area has little to do with volume/sound *on its own*. To give you even a vague idea of what might happen in doing this, take a look at the specs of each cabinet. Sensitivity and frequency response are the ones you want to look at.

What would help us out is to know the brand/model of the speaker cabinets in question. Would the 2x10 be the same as the one you currently own? If so, you already know how that 2x10 sounds, which is orders of magnitude more valuable than any published specification.

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Losing the 15 would certainly affect the amount of thunder you'll have, but depending on what kinds of music you play, that may not be a big deal. A 112 or 212 would be able to replace some of the bottom as well as giving you a lot more low-mids to cut thru the mix.

6. I play with a 210, and I get a ton of punch. I jack up my low mids and back off my bass some, and get an awesome punch with my Fender Jazz that I love.

7. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I tried a 2x10 under my 4x8 instead of my usual 1x15. No comparison in depth and low-note air. The 2x10 went back to the store and I kept my 15.

8. Right now I am using one 2x10 cab. The cab can go down to 30hz so I do not loose any low end.

I will add another 2x10 (Same model as the other).

It is very easy to transport 2 2x10s instead of big 15"s.