Two things I never expected from playing bass...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Hearing loss and back problems.

I never throught I could read up so much on ear plugs, tinnitus and suicide when I decided to play bass four years ago. Now I wear ER20's for louder practices and gigs. I wish I did from the beginning! my volume urges got the best of me many times.

Now, my back is suffering from too much shuffling of my gear around. granted my gear is lighter than most it seams. 44 Lbs for my cab, about 30 Lbs for my rack and 10 LB for my guitar. I moved my complete "rig" EIGHT times this week because I had got my new cab into the house (trip 1) and wanted to show a friend (2,3), haul it to church to play (4), haul it to an aguilar dealer to a/b cabs (5,6,7), back to church (8). saturday night after church I got home and could barely walk, stand up straight OR SLEEP!!! I was icing my back and popin' advil like I had an endless supply.

Today I saw a chiropractor for the first time in my life! I'm 36. What a weird experience! I thought she was gonna kill me!, but I'm starting to feel better. pinched nerves are feeling better. two more visits and a muscle therapist coming up.

Now, this isn't all because of bass gear, but that was the last straw. I also had other contributing factors: possible effects from teenage back injury (not treated at the time), 4th of july back injury this year. whacked my tailbone falling off a jetski. I did some heavy lifting at work after 4th of july and before that. then the cab. and basic slouching posture reading and posting at TB!

please take care of yourselves and be careful lifting your big cabs and racks!!!!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No offense, but LOL. I'm 55. When we put the band back together nine years ago, I said, "I'm gonna just get me a nice little combo and a decent bass." And so I did. Then GAS, now ROFLMAO.

My head and rack are about 35 pounds, D-410XLT, 98 pounds, D-210XLT, 68 lbs, D-115XL, 59 pounds, Mackie PA speakers, 100 pounds each, Mackie subs, 88 pounds each, PA mixer and effects in rack, 140 pounds.

Dude, you need to learn how to lift properly. ROFL.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah....maybe this had,,, a do with it....

Your right though, lifting all that bass gear didn't really help it did it. Take it easy for a while, relax, train a bear to haul your stuff around.;)
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Man, I had a SCARY episode the other night.

both my ears felt stuffy, highs and lows were muffled, I went into the bathroom and I heard a sort of vacuum-y sound, coupled with a low ringing.:eek:

I was so scared I thought I had tinnitus and that there was nothing that I could do.

certainly when you hear a ringing in your ears, it is permanent damage, but thankfully the ringing did subside, and my ears don't feel stuffy any more

first thing tomorrow I'm going to buy some ER-20s, I am NOT going to let myself get Tinnitus.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've had episodes where I can't hear ANYTHING for a second or two then I hear a 'tone' like a test tone, then slowly the hearing comes back after a few minutes. my science teacher in high school says that happens when a single hair breaks off in your inner ear GONE FOREVER! regular ringing after loud show is MANY MANY hairs being traumatized, some breaking off.

Did you read the scary thread on tinitus linked to some suicides? search "tinnitus suicide" under keyword search. very sobering.

ER20's are good, but I'm even considering custom fit ER15's for even flatter response. you can search er20's too, THEY ARE BETTER SOUNDING THAN FOAM PLUGS!
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Earplugs and Neodymium! I've discovered both and now enjoy my playing a LOT more!
  7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I've always said,
    "I don't get paid to play, I get paid for cartage."

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Couldn't have said it any better. Playing is fun, schlepping gear isn't.

Excessive volume is like second-hand smoke, even though someone may enjoy it or feel the need for it, others are hurt in the process.

Take care of your ears and back, as well as your wrist and fingers, because music is one of those endeavors that can last a lifetime.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As a 37 year old, the only thing that's really bothered me is wrist pain.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too.
    ...then I learned that switching hands every couple nights seemed to help.
    Try it, you'll like it.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I so envied my friend's band that hadda a house gig...they show up about 10-15 minutes prior to 'showtime' & plug in.

Here's a snippet from Ashley Kahn's The Making Of "Kind Of Blue"
    Coltrane, Cannonball, Wynton Kelly & Bill Evans were paid a whopping $64.67 for their playing on this landmark recording.

Bassist Chambers & drummer Jimmy Cobb were paid-
    $66.67(includes cartage).
  12. Munj, I know exactly what you mean. That combo program lasted about one week for me. Just doesn't look right for a bass player to bend over and turn an amp up. As far as the ringing in the ears the next day or so, It just reminds me of how much fun I have playing bass every weekend:D What?
  13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    One word...."Roadies" :p :)

I'm deaf in both eyes...But ear plugs help out alot. I also found that with a wider strap, my back does'nt hurt as much when I play. Lugging equipment just goes with the territory.

Oh, and I try to stay on the jetski! :p
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    As far as hearing goes I'm a coverted drummer so my hearing is shot anyway, I will wear plugs from time to time. There are products on the market for joint pain, suppliments from health food stores Glucosmine is one that comes to mind. There are some joint formulas that are several compounds mixed together and they do help. I lift weights to keep up my on stage chick appeal and have had elbow pain and stuff like that and it helps when taken consistantly. If you have back problems you need to strengthen you abs, but I never heard of too many bass players taking health food suppliments and doing sit ups before a gig, maybe a couple of shots and a Marlboro.
  15. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  16. McRelly, i know you aren't going to believe this, but regular workouts will help your back a bunch.
    Concentrate on "core" strengthening, abs, lower back, etc. do as many or the exercises as you can with free-weights, machines are more likely to injure joints, especially shoulders and elbows. You don't have to look like Arnie to be in a gym.
    i'm 55 also, and have no trouble loading the bands 2x18 subs singlehanded, so the bass rig is not a problem. Just be patient with your workouts, it took years to get out of shape, don't expect to get in shape overnight.

Good luck, j
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Rumblejohn is 100% correct! Cut down on the carbs I lost 80 lbs and can bench 375 lbs and I don't train that hard just to keep in shape.
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Every time I get the urge to exercise, I usually just lie down until it passes.

only joking.... I've got a change of clothes in the car and will be heading to the beach for a jog straight after work.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

1) Enjoying Bass Playing more than I thought I would.
    2) Having to teach the guitar players the songs...on guitar!:eek:
  20. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Simple solution to back problems:

Load in and out as a band. For us we practice in my basement so all the gear's at my house, when we gig we all lend a hand till the jobs done.

Ever since I started playing I've always worn earplugs. I once worked in a warehouse/printing plant during the summer and quickly learned just how valuable they are.