Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two thumbs up for Jörg Schroeder!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you are expecting a review, then wait a bit more - my 1210 has not arrived yet ;) . But there are lots of threads with reviews, and this is not yet about the cab itself. Now I know there are also threads in which Jörg's cabs and customer care are praised, but since he did even more than usual for me, I owe it to him to dedicate a thread of my own to him.

Get comfy, this will be long. ;)

I've been hooked in the first 100 posts of the Schroeder megathread (it's just what I want: not just clean and even has a plus: that mid and punch, which I both like, but also small and light, which might come in very useful in a crowded city without a car) - but I was quite low on funds then.

Since then I've sold my old rig and got a new rig together and enough money for a cab. It was nice speaking and settling business with Jörg, he even remembered me in October when we only pm'd about twice or three times in August. Also, he offered one more trick in shipping - which I wont tell not to get him in trouble for it. ;)

The rougher part begins here. When he finished this batch of cabs, and was about to ship mine out, as well, it turned out later, USPS does not ship to each country the same way. Jörg contacted me at once and asked me what to do. I first didnt understand what he was saying, I thought he said/meant that the cab was too big for Ground shipping (4-6 weeks, cheapest way - as I'm still just a poor student in a (re-)developing country :p ) and a different transport method would cost a $100 more, and that he was very sorry he didn't notice that and tell me earlier (which, BTW, I didnt notice right until he told me where to look for it a few e-mails later - honestly, as scatter-brain as I am, even my smallest mistakes are bigger than that). First I told him I'd like to think over it a bit - and I had to go to class then. And i was thinking like ' :meh: geez I really dont know, this is just what I was looking for, but I'm just a guy playing bass for four years now - that's what, that's still like a noob, and I need to save some money - this already was to come out around or over $800 with taxes, now it's gonna be even more; also, I've only had crappy cabs till now, so even a cheap-but-ok used cab would be a big upgrade for me; and for third, my Dad already told me before that he would help me build a cab if I decided to do so, he has many of the necessary tools'.

After I got back and read the new e-mails, I thought 'you know what? I've been wanting it for some time, and if I dont get it now, I'll have a longing for it and I'll buy it later, but till then I'll have gone through some more cabs, and spent even more money that way' - so I said I'm in. :hyper:
    Jörg said that it was his fault, and if I could send a little, it'd be welcome, but he was even willing to take over the extra shipping cost and send this as his Christmas present to me, but was concerned that it would be suspicious for the customs officers that the declared value is much lower than the $700 shipping price.
    :eyebrow:
    I then thought, quoting one of Victor Bailey's songs from Monday's concert ( :bassist: ), 'What the...' :eyebrow:
    $700? :eyebrow: :eek:
    In the next e-mail I got the answer: the only way USPS ships items this large to Hungary is with Express, and that is this expensive... :eek:
    All the other shipping companies were even more expensive. :rollno:
    After that I got the idea - it has worked for other countries, so there are different shipping specs for some countries? Now let's see, I have an aunt in Austria, who has helped me with different things, like she gets me strings that are not available here (cool aunt I have, huh :D ), and I look up Austria in USPS - and hallelujah, even though Ground still wont work there, but Air Parcel Mail does! :hyper: :D
    At last, a possible solution! I e-mailed my aunt and she replied right away that it was ok. :hyper:
    Now even though Air Parcel works, it's twice as much as the $135 of the Ground, so I said I'll help pay the extra, but he stuck to paying it, as he said it was his fault, and he'll have it sent next morning (post was closed because of Memorial Day) 'even if hell freezes over'.

Now what do you say to this?
    I dare any company to go this far, to do so much for someone, who is not even their customer yet (if we look at it that way, I only sent the money so far, which can be refunded), that they would not just sacrifice a bit of their profit, but even go into a temporary deficit to have a small mistake corrected, even if they 'have to move heaven or hell'.

So, as I said, I have two thumbs up for Jörg - just because I dont have anymore ;) but you can join in and help me out give even more thumbs up! :cool: :D

Thanks again, Jörg! :hyper:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    By far one of the coolest people Ive ever met, not to mention a great dealler. I've never bought anything from him personally as I simply dont have the need right now, but the couple times I've gotten to hang out with him, he always made me feel like one of the guys, a friend, not just some face at a show or some newbie guy that doesnt deserve his respect or time.

Always great to see him, and if I ever am in the market for a cab, I wont think twice about where I'll go to get it. Even if his product was half as good as it is, it would be worth it to deal with Jorg. And since its the best cab I've ever heard, that only makes it that much better hehe.

Glad you had a great experience with him and I know you'll be in love when you get your cab!

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You're a fast reader, my man :smug:
    This post turned out a bit long - though not as long as the Schroeder megathread, which is currently at 925 posts :eyebrow: :smug: :cool:

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Jorg is not just a very good person -- you can tell he really loves helping people out and making them happy with both his products and services.

5. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    +1 to all that.when i ordered my 1210 months ago fedex temporarily lost my shipment.jorg spent hours on the phone locating it and made them honor the delivery date.then during the weekend of the first dfw gathering this summer, he brought a few cabs to my house where we set up and jammed for hours.(i bought the 1212 on the spot).he is definatly a guy that has a great deal of passioin for his work.

6. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought my 1210 a few months ago directly from Jorg.

A month later he emailed me just to make sure I was happy.

He emailed me again this week - he was just checking in.

If he were any more responsive he would have to be making house calls!! :D

All in all, everything you could ask for.

Even if Jorg's gear wasn't "da bomb" (and it is), it would be worth buying his stuff just to get to do business with him.

7. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Actually I just re-read the post previous to mine:

I guess Jorg does make housecalls after all!
    :D

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    My experience dealing with Jorg was similar. He was extremely pleasant, helpful, and happy to just chat about gear in general. He sent me an email upon receiving my payment to let me know it came, gave me an estimate of when he might be able to ship my cabinet, then sent me two more emails, one when he finished my cabinet, and another one within hours to provide me with the tracking number.

Customer Service just doesn't get any better than this :cool:

- Frank.