Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two thumbs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Robbi, Jan 29, 2003.

1. I have a couple, techniques that I use that I can se as being defined as Double thumbing.
    The term itself is rather new to me, I never heard it B4 (queue canned laugter)

I've searched this site and VW's, and I don't see the specific term.

so simply as possible please Define "Double Thumbing"
    (or of coarse direct me to a thread that does.)

Also feel free to target my lack of knoledge on the subject, especially since I've been playing for near 10 years. (Queue canned oooohs)

Thanx fellow Lo-Noters

R

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that the technique refered to as double thumbing also gets refered to as double thumping - and I think it's in reference to a technique popularized by Victor Wooten involving a fast slapping motion where the thumb strikess the string with a down stroke and then again with an upstroke. I could be wrong, I'm no slap player and don't use any such technique. Check out this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=68908&highlight=double+thump

3. you are right. If you want to really learn this i would pick up the Victor Wooten Super Solo Technique Video or Bass Day 98

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Its not hard just takes some coordination and finesse.
    take a deep breath and repeat after me

down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    down-up
    ...ad nausem

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    the guy I originally heard doing "double-thumping" was Muzz Skillings of Living Colour in the late 80's.
    I had never heard anyone do it before and immediately started copying it. Then I managed to get Victor Wooten to show it to me around 90'
    Vic took it to another level.......

But it is just what the other guy said....thumb+up/down= double thumping

Dave

6. Randy Coven does it also. It's basically using your thumb to alternate pick (down and up strokes). Sort of an advanced form of slapping.

7. You guys Rock ..
    Thanx

R

8. p0w3rman5ooo

p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    So, is this all thumb movement, or would you "strum" with your thumb by moving your wrist? What would be the best way of incorporating this into a song?

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...you don't want your thumb to be too stiff, but at the same time you're not exactly moving your thumb, you kind of move your whole hand, in a strumming sort of way, BUT with more slap/pop and less strum
    slap with your thumb and then pop with your thumb
    thats basically it.

You can do really fast triplets, quadruplets, sextuplets and even octuplets this way(using left handed slap, double thumb and two fingered pops), or you can do stringed triplets or whatever, so it can be cool in a song for a really quick stringed triplet fill, or a grace note triplet embellishment.

also when you get comfortable with the technique it allows you to hold steady 8ths or 16ths all with your thumb and it sounds like slap/pop, giving your popping fingers more space to have fun ;)

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  11. as i said up there if you really want to learn it get those Wooten videos very helpful...only took me a year and half to master it........yea right.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah...wootens vids are great! especially Live at bass day '98 not only is it a kick ass concert but the instructional side is well done too.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I always hear it is as simple as up down up down. But when I use my thumb in an up down fashion... it doesn't sound anything like slap. It just sounds like... my thump. I dunno, confusing stuff. I just realize I suck a lot at slapping... oh well.

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Hmm. I would be inclined to disagree.. it isnt exactly easy to incorporate this technique seamlessly into a bassline.

I mean, sure you could play 1/4 notes at 80bpm, but let's face it we all want to play 120bpm funk fusion lines like Marcus Miller... and that certainly aint easy!!

I find you need to have your bass rigth up by your chin to get anywhere near being able to do this.
    Also, it's the combination of accuracy and speed that makes it difficult, IMO of course.

15. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA

If you have the need to do some fast arpeggios or perhaps a scalar type run where two or more of the same note in a row is desired, double thumb work makes it easy. If you do a double thumb pluck you can get 3 notes in a row, and with a open-hammer-double-thumb-pluck you get a ghost note and 3 more notes, for a total of 4 notes in one wrist motion . . .

16. Darth_Linux

Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA