Two tones out of one fret

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thebassmuchacho, Feb 24, 2006.

1. I have something wierd happening to somewhere around the 15th to the 20 fret on my bass where i get two tones, meaning the one note basically pulsates because the two frequencies of the pitches are so close. Its almost like a scofield tone, cool, but not all the time. Ive already intonated my bass, and the neck is fine. One friend told me that it needs fretwork, but before i do that i was wondering if youve heard of this before and if theres an easier fix.

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    what you're referring to is happening when playing plugged in and amplified, or what you hear accoustically when unplugged?

All the best,

3. did you recently change your strings? I've had this problem with faulty strings (DR) and problem was fixed when I installed a different product.
  4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

It's funny you say that Wilser: DR strings on my Warwick do this same thing. I always thought it was the fret size/shape that was doing it. It doesn't transmit through the pickups until frets 22 to 24, on the heaviest strings. What strings did you switch to?
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Yeah, if using DR Longnecks (is that the right name), they will produce these results due to their construction.

those strings are intended for through-body stringing, if they are used on just about anything else the strange harmonics occur.
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Have you recently raised your pickups or lowered your action? This can happen when a pickup is too close to a string, and it pulls on the string too much.
  7. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I just checked my bag, and sure enough: a box of Long-Necks.

Anyone have suggestions for a replacement set of strings with similar feel?
  8. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I like D'Addarios. I used to use DRs, but I decided they were a little too coarse (and expensive) for me.