Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Two years after buying my Avatar 212...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeddyisGod, Jan 5, 2006.

1. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I finally get the 210 (Delta) to match. Nice little unit. Doesn't handle the low A too well, but I only tune that low for a few songs. "C" is where we normally play, and the 10s handle that fine.

This brings me to my new problem, the Crate head that I use. It's the BXH 220 model. The preamp clips way too easily when you try to push any low frequencies, especially with my Warwick. I have to keep the low frequencies flat on the amp and live in the low mids if I want any kind of volume. I actually get more useable sound when I bypass the preamp with my old guitar effects processor!

In short, I've decided I need a new head. It's a long drive to any kind of decent music store from where I live, so I'm probably going to be forced to mail order. My upper limit is about $600, depending on my tax refund. I want something that will match up well with my Avatar cabinets and doesn't mind being "pushed" and maybe give me a bit of grind. I'm looking at the plethera of $300, 300 watt heads and beyond up to the Ampeg B2RE. I've searched most of the heads and what I'm hopig for is some input from my fellow Avatar users. Any advice will be mucho appreciated.
    :bassist:

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For about $400 (used) to $500 (new), you can get a Kustom Groove Bass 1200. I had one paired up with some Avatars (B210 and SB112). Killer KILLER poor mans rig. It has gotten RAVE reviews here on TB and in the mags. Hell, some TBers voted "Best Bang for the Buck Head" in the 2005 Gear of the Year Awards thread. It can't be beat for the cash you are talking about...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown is a nice brand to pair up with Avatar.

What you need fits with the Mag300h perfectly. $300. 307 watts.

4. I've been using a Peavey Firebass 700 into an SWR Goliath II Jr (2x10) and an Avatar B212 Neo. I've been really pleased with this low dough rig as it's done the job exceptionally well for my band's first 7 gigs (well, the last two of the seven - I ran just the 212 for the first five - #8 is tonight :) ). I got the Firebass for $300 which is the usual price on the used market. I may graduate to a Kustom Groove Bass 1200 like Quadzilla is reccomending down the road, but for now I'm very satisfied w/the Firebass, which has a good amount of headroom.

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Find a good deal on a GK head. An older 1001RB or 700RB.

Mmmmmmmmmmm...

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A Traynor YBA 200 fits into the upper limits of your price range if you want something nice and tubey.

7. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    That Ashdown is on my short list, as is the Kustom.

A quote from this thread has me considering the GK Backline 600.
    Does anyone have a link to an online vendor that sells that Traynor?

8. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I really like my Yamaha BBT500H head
    http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAM-BBT500H.html
    I see the price has dropped to $530 now from $600.
    It has 5 midi changable preamp settings or 11 other sound types including distortion. It' got a full featured compressor and noise gate and level control on the d.i., a tuner out, and graphic eq. and it only weighs 10 pounds and come with rack ears if you want them.
    I ordered this amp before they came out with them and have had it almost a year now. No problems and it has the modern sound I like and the occasional grind with one button push.
    They're not marketed like the ampegs so they don't get the hype but like other Yamaha products, I think you get more than you pay for. TB'ers sure love the basses anyway.

9. If you like a clear bass sound (let's say the opposite of the 'woolly' Ampeg line):
    It's hard to get out there in the States. But if you can get a used Mark Bass top. These deliver a lot of 'spare power' and won't clip easily.

10. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I just got outbid on a Firebass. :rollno:

I've read some good stuff here on the Eden Nemesis 320. Does anyone have a bad report on these?

That Yamaha looks pretty nice, but that price puts me into the Groovebass/Ampeg B2RE range, which I covet more.

11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    I run GK1001RBII, i love it, 700 watts threw a 4x10 and 2x12 : )

12. Ashdown MAG (warm)
    Peavey Firebass (if you don´t mind the weight)
    Hartke 3500 or a used 7000 (clean)
    GK (used)
    warwick (any of their solidstate-line)

any of those should work fine.

13. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    www.musiciansbuy.com. It's an outstanding head.

The Firebass and Kustom are good choices as well.... and not long ago, rmcaudio.com was selling the GK 1001RB-II for $600. I'd stay away from the Backline.

You keep bringing up grind and distortion, though..... not sure what your needs are, but you might think about trying to keep the head under $500 or so, and have enough left for a used Sansamp BDDI.... will give you all the grind you need, great control over your tone, and serve as a good DI box if you need to go straight into a PA or board....

14. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'd suggest away from the B2RE. May not be powerful enough. The groovebass is a excellent suggestion.

15. GeddyisGod

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I've narrowed my focus to a few items;

Ashdown MAG 300 (if I go cheap) or MAG 600 (if I want the power)
    Yorkville XS400H (got a built-in tube pre)
    Eden Nemesis 320

I can get fairly good deals on all of them. Does anyone know if the Eden comes with rackmout ears? Any bad things about these amps I should know? Older threads question the Ashdown's reliability, but that was mostly related to their combos.

16. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have a QSC RMX 2450, with a BBE BMAX solid state unit. Way cool...tons of low end, fat sounding. But...if your looking for grind you don't want it, unless you geta distortion pedal of sorts. Otherwise it sound great. I highly suggest what another poster did. A head or power amp for that matter and the SansAmp pedal.

17. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    If you have $600, you can get a GK 1001RB-II for $600 here : http://www.rmcaudio.com . I got mine from there, and I love it. I am using an avatar 2x12. The warmest sounding amp I have played through (besides tube amps)