1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Years Late to the Party: My Sire V7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

A fellow TB member contacted me about selling my TMB605 since I had it in the classifieds for a week or so. I told him I had decided not to sell it, but I would be interested in his offer. He offered me a nice price, but when he said he would trade his V7, I jumped on it because I love active Jazz Basses, but I have not had one since 2009 or so. This video is just me playing some old Larry Graham and Mark Adams (Slave) licks. I also play a bit of Wayne Shorter’s Footprints. I need to dial in the set up, but I am really enjoying this bass!:bassist:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I really do want to try a Sire. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about them.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They are great basses indeed. The neck profile is not as flat as I like, but my Pedulla and Lakland can do that for me.:thumbsup:

wmmj, Pbassmanca, stingray69 and 2 others like this.
  4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Hi Doc, glad to see you are enjoying the V7 - sounds great! Play it in good health and enjoy! :bassist:

My V7 Vintage is sad now cause it's lonely. :crying: Just kidding.

I'm about to call it a night, I've been putting on new strings & dialing in my setup on the TMB605.

Been playing it for the last few hours & oh my goodness - do I like it! :bassist::bassist:

I guess that makes me about 2yrs late to the Talman party myself.

Thanks again for the fantastic trade!

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You’re welcome and thank you too for making an offer that I could not refuse in a good way!:thumbsup:

lowdownthump and stingray69 like this.
  6. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I wanted that TMB605 pretty badly so I figured...:D

The TMB605 is filling a much needed P/J empty slot in my recently slimmed down collection of basses. I'm loving it - thank you again! :thumbsup:

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    @Dr. Cheese
    Doc, do you mind telling us the reason for letting that gorgeous Talman bass go in the first place?

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    At the end of the day, when it comes to fretted basses, I like Jazz Basses the most.

9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Heres what I can tell you about my V7 in a nutshell: What is being purchased is one of the best onboard Preamps on the planet that comes with a free Squier-quality bass attached to it

10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I can agree with this. My V3-5 string is on par with the quality of the Classic Vibe Squiers I’ve owned. But higher quality than the VM stuff.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Given the quality of the Sire bridge, it has hardware superior to that of a Squier. The neck finish and paint is on par with Squier. The preamp is better than a Fender Elite, and on par with a Music Man Bongo or the variable mid Peavey Cirrus or Millennium. Overall, the Sire is not directly comparable to Fender products.

krovx, wmmj, bholder and 2 others like this.
  12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Good ol' Talkbass, ya never disappoint: Where I can't even make a basic generalized statement without somebody invariably pulling out the microscopes and magnifying glasses :D.....btw, nice vid, Dr. C

el jeffe bass, bholder and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have had 2 of those, a 4 and a 5, and sold both because of my love/hate (mostly hate) take on jazz basses. But, imo, best bang for the buck as a brand. I just got a P7 that I will be keeping.

wmmj, lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I got your point, and I basically agree, but as you said, I turned on my electron microscope and got precise.:D

plav1959, wmmj, bholder and 1 other person like this.
  15. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Sounds really good! Did you set it up? The set up sounds perfect.

Do you use any effects at all? Phasers or delays? Just curious. Nice playing regardless. :)

16. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Im actually NOT surprised that you parted with the Talman for the V7, so tell me if I'm wrong: I'm into and grew up on ol skool funk (Brothers Johnson, Lakeside, Cameo, Pleasure, etc) and shaped myself over time from these roots....a few years ago, I owned an Ibanez SR-1205. It played fantastic and had a shredders neck..It had Nords in it and -- after all the glowing reviews on TB - I thought this wasnt a bad thing -- I was wrong. For me, the Nords were OK but (to somewhat nitpick) the Nords were "too thick" sounding and took away from the focused punch I had grown accustomed to with single Js. I could see how non-slap players -- especially rock players -- would like Nords but, for me, well--- Yuk :D ......Im curious if you had the same experience?

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    Congrats! Nice playing and sound. I was desperate for a Sire for a while and couldn’t try before buying. I eventually played some at CME here in Chicago. They had 4 or 5 4string jazz basses and I hated all but one, but I think it was just the setup. Crazy high action on the ones I didn’t care for. Finish was generally very nice across the board and sounded nice.

It’s amazing that even in a store like Chicago Music Exchange that sells almost exclusively crazy high end new and vintage gear that they would have guitars on their showroom that were so poorly set up, but these would be the cheapies at that store so.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes, on a PJ with the split in the usual orientation, it does not get mid scoop of a Jazz when slapping. So yes, abJazz always delivers the tone for slap I truly love.

lowdownthump and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  19. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Interesting because I have an Ibanez Destroyer thats a P/J but the pickups are in very close proximity and is very punchy for slap compared to other P/Js. As you say, it doesnt have the scoop, but the locations seem to give it a certain TM Stevens type of punch...I'll try to record a vid clip for you in the next day or so to check out...Its actually pretty funky for a pointy rock bass lol

wmmj and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the kind words. It made some changes, I raised the height of the B string and the height of the neck pickup because I could not slap it without the B string hitting the front pickup. The change did not affect the intonation which is good. I will probably straighten the neck a little more so I can play the upper register more cleanly.

I did not use any effects during the video.