1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

two years to become good

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by black.rose1402, Aug 28, 2007.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    hello Janek thanks a lot for yor advices and your time on this forum !! it is so great to have some monsters to help us
    speaking of helping us (lol) I decided to make the next two years the years to learn how to be good, to become a great player!

So If you could give me a sort of schedule of what to work (and I think that everybody in this forum will be glad to pick some elements in order to bring their playing to the next level)and how to work
    some recordings to develop the phrasing
    the exercises to develop technique
    what to work to become a good sight reader
    how to study the harmony...

everything that could help us to develop our bass playing and our musical knowledge

so I hope you 'll manage to help me and us all if you can

and by the way , keep on doin' whatcha doin', you doin' great!!!

2. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    get yourself a teacher ;)

and trust me.. the better you get, the more you'll realize just how much you have to learn. 2 years soon becomes a lifetime's journey.

3. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    +1!

Id rather advise someone to take lessons from good teacher a few times over a long time period.. and than take 2 years off from the Bass.. :smug:
    I learnd LOADS spending nearly 6 years not touching my bass...

You get time to re-evaluate what you play. how you play it.. Discover new musicians you like listening to.. (go JANEK! :hyper: )
    Meet new people that inspire you to play..

Anyhow.. I beleve you can get Janek to tell you all the things your asking for.. but it won't be for free and it won't be for everyone to see.. hes got students.. even online.. check out that online lessons thread..

Cheers

4. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://bassstudio.janekgwizdala.com
    All I can say is that you don't just decide to become good. And even when you're striving for greatness it doesn't come to you in 2 years.

A sign of greatness is to always be searching for something. And when you're searching for something there is no time frame. This is music, not an advanced driving course that you take then get a certificate at the end to say that you showed up for class each week.

To become a great player you have to commit to the music. And that commitment lasts more than two years. It's a filetime of work, and even then you can't hope to acheive whatever your goals shift to every day. It's what keeps us young. That childlike nievety that keeps us believing we'll reach whatever it is we're searching for.

You should transcribe in whatever genre it is you're looking to excel in. And then in every other genre too, just to get a better picture of music in general. You should shed every day as much as you can, and make sure there are no flaws in your technique so that you can execute any musical ideas you have at any time.

And most importantly, have fun. As soon as it stops being fun, do something else.

Easy,

Janek

5. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I always tell people I want to be a good jazz player when I grow up. I'll be 61 next month and realized long ago that it is a life long journey!

Wally