Tye Zamora's 6 String (Alien Ant Farm)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So this guy plays a 6 string Fender, and i've never seen a 6 string Fender other than that goofy baritone guitar thing. Anybody know what it is?
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Its a custom shop model. His old one was made by Dave Parr.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    From reading that article, a chill just went down my spine.

Fender... making a non-traditional signature based on a one-off, handmade 6 string. The band's audience, a tax bracket that just couldn't pay $3000 for a bass...

... What kind of abomination will it be?

Hold me.
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yeah, I pretty much thought the same thing when I heard of the Fender deal from my buddy, but Fender has done some things where he plays some of their 5 string stuff out on promotions and whatnot. I'm pretty sure that they know that the typical fan of AAF isn't looking to buy Tye's custom sig model that isn't really readily available.
  5. :bassist:Take a look at his 2nd pic....The hat, the 6 string, and the gray mechanic shirt. A little Claypoolish to me. Its a shame what has happened to them. They just finished an album I think, but from what I understand they are back to playing bars, clubs and shopping malls. Not even 15 minutes... :bassist:
  6. I'm pretty sure I read an interview in bass gear magazine where he was saying that HE built the bass with some other guy. When I saw the fender logo I just figured he used a custom fender neck (like those carvins you can buy) and built the bass around that. It took me seeing the bass up close to see how badass the construction actually is. There's alot going on there.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    IIRC, he was in a Primus cover band before AAF

There was a thread a time ago (with lots of pics of 5- and 6-string Fenders from NAMM), but I'm lazy to search :p and have to go soon
  8. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i don't want to offend tye or any of his fans, but that is one ugly bass... :meh:

p.s. for that money i would get a 'true' luthire to build a custom bass for me. maybe a nordstrand or an fbass :rolleyes:
  9. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i dont know if "for that money" would apply. Im sure he didnt pay the full price for it. But yah, id much rather have a true custom luthier build somethign for me.
  10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Isn't Zamora's Fender based on a Jerzy Drozd?
  11. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    yeah thats true. he probably got it for free
  12. Oh, I believe they got their fair share. If they had any scruples, they would have told their P.R. staff to push another song other than the Michael Jackson cover...hit the public with that SECOND, if they are worth their weight in their own lameness. Smacks of them being nothing more than goofball opportunists.

See you guys on "hit me baby one more time, season 8."

13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No. It's based on the original custom bass he built with Dave Parr. See post #2.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Somebody named Dave Parr helped him build his first six string, the one that you see in the videos. The one that this thread is referring to is a Fender Custom Shop model.
  15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    To be fair, "Movies" was released before "Smooth Criminal". It was even frequently played on the radio and MTV before "Smooth Criminal" was released. "Smooth Criminal" had such a big impact though, that "Movies" was quickly forgotten.

Its unfortunate because those guys are fantastic.
  16. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    received a gift from Sire, not an "endorsing artist" though.
    Well, see, you start with some alien ants, but make sure you include a queen! ;)
  17. Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    Sweet zombie Jesus! Almost 10 years dead!
    SandCBass and lz4005 like this.
  18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    received a gift from Sire, not an "endorsing artist" though.
    Hah - oops, sorry, don't know how I ended up in this thread, thought I was in the new one....