Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tye Zamora's Fender Custom Shop 6 String.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tames, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Looking at my Frontline 2004 catalog, I had a double-take when I glanced at Tye Zamora's (of Alien Ant Farm) custom Fender 6 string. This thing looks more like a Warwick than any Fender I've ever seen. It's absolutely beautiful, but does someone have any more info? It says it can only be built by a master custom shop artist or something. Pricing? How can I get one of these? I know he basically built the bass, then took it to Fender and said "Hey, build one of these for me." And so they did. Where do I get one?!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    call up fender's custom shop. That is the best way to do it.

3. Buy through any Master Dealer (you can find them on the Fender web site...I believe.) A master built instrument takes an ungodly amount of time and at LEAST $4000 to even consider. (And most likely considerably more after all the details are worked out.) As I understand, they only have like 3 or 4 'master builders'. But they are good...I've seen some of their work and it is exceedingly meticulous in detail and playability.

4. I think that bass goes for around 6700$ or some astronomical value like that. Nice bass and all, but expensive!

5. I hope they come out with a production version, I love it too!

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah man, like 7800 beans from what I remember... Do a search I remember that there was a thread about his 6er towards the beginning of this year.

It could have been talked about in the same thread that Roscoe Beck's Proto 6'er (RB6)... Foggy memory.

7. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    I spoke with Tye last January at NAMM.

He fessed up that the "inspiration" for the design was Jerzy Drozd basses.

Of course, he could have just bought a Washburn Taurus.
    For a lot less.

Or a real Jerzy Drozd.
    Also for less.

Well, it is a cool and unexpected piece from Fender.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I bet it would have been cheaper to go for a Drozd... especially if you can use the purchase of an instrument to justify a trip to Barcelona...

:D

9. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    It is not necessary to go to Barcelona for one of Jerzy's basses

Jerzy Drozd Basses are available here in the States.

I hope this isn't spamming, but LuthiersAccessGroup has distributed these basses for close to 5 years now.

Dan Lenard
    LAG

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    $7800.00 for that fender?
    They must have sold only one.

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Or a Wishbass, for less ;)

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Search? There was huge topic aobut this, not too long ago.

13. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i talked to the fender guys like a year back and they said they were coming out with 4,5,and 6 string models, 4,5,6 bolt on or the Tye neck thru 6. It'd pretty sweet. like, rather spend my money on a ritter or Nordstrand or Status Buzzard sweet, but it's still pretty tight.

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I got to play one @ NAMM, and it had a price tag of $7k plus.

15. And... How was it?

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I played it at MusicLIVE! in Birmingham last year. It was £4300 i seem to remember.