Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tyler basses...IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenagebass69, Jun 13, 2004.

1. hey ive been looking for a TYLER bass for a long time but just cant find out where to buy one....anyone know where i can get one?

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    If you look hard enough, you'll find one! I've had 4 in the last year alone. I currently have 2 that are keepers. Jim has only built a couple basses in the past few years. I'm a Tyler Guitars dealer, and I can't even get him to build them for me!!!!!!!!!! Shoot me emails on a regular bassis, and I'll help you find one. Jim Tyler jokes with me and asks..."are you trying to own every bass I've built?" The answer......YES!! :bassist:
    Corey

3. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I wish Jim Tyler would start building basses again. I would really like to get a Laboriel 5.

They are pretty difficult to find used, but I have seen a few on eBay. Many times I think the people are asking a little too much though. :bawl:

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Ebay prices have been cheap for Tyler basses! Every one I've sold, has sold in 1 day at $2800.00-$3000.00. A new one, if Jim built them, would retail around $4000.00 w/case. There are alot of high end basses out there in this price range, but I've yet to find anything better!
    Corey

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    oh yeah, really ****ing cheap... :spit:.

6. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

I wouldn't say that's exactly cheap. They do hold their value extremely well so that tells you something....

7. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    O.K.....I guess I didn't mean "cheap", I meant considerably less than they're worth.
    These are amazing basses that hold their value extremely well like Sadowskys. I think if you bought one for under $3000.00 you could re-sell it in a heartbeat, and get your money back.
    Corey

8. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Anyone has a Tyler 6??? I have not seen one for sale??? :eyebrow:

9. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

I'll pretend I didn't see that.

:bawl:

:D

10. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Yeah.....I'm selling this one. I had 4 at one point! I find myself ALWAYS using my blue one, or my '66 P. I'm also getting a Sadowsky Metro for myself, so I need to thin the herd.
    The Tyler I'm selling is a great bass though. I'm just more used to the wider neck on my blue bass. I picked this one up from a guy in New York who was the original owner. It's been well cared for.
    Corey

11. Just noticed on the Tyler web page that basses are going to be back in production. Can anyone (Corey) confirm this?

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Well....I can confirm that when Jim was here in June, he SAID that he was trying to get some basses built by NAMM. I hope that it really does happen. I think he makes some of the nicest guitars and basses I've ever played.
    Funky.......does your guitar player still play them?
    Corey

13. my name is mud

my name is mud

Jul 2, 2004
    WI
    hehe thats my name...so if I make a bass ill sell it to you and then you will own a "Tyler bass"

14. He's mostly a Lentz guy now, but he recently got this awesome Studio Elite with a green/copper patina schmear finish. The Lentzes are a little more traditional (he likes the fat neck), but I still think the Tylers look cooler and are way more versatile as far as digging out weirder tones that still sound great.

The other guitar player has a natural finish Classic and he's really cheap so I doubt he'll be using anything else.

15. museman

museman

Jan 27, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Howdy all! I had a 5-string, Stubenhaus Model built for me in 2002. I love the sound and feel. However! I'm a sit-down player and I find this bass a better stand-up body style. So I'm thinking of selling it.

Anyone else have this difficulty?