Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tyler Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyliee, Feb 18, 2004.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've read good things about these basses and understand many of the studio pros play them.

http://www.tylerguitars.com/

I kind of like the Abe Laboriel model.

Anyone here on Talkbass have any experience with them? Own them? Tell me more please.

Thanks.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I can tell you that they have ugly-arse headstocks.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, that's pretty much the depth of the commentary Tyler basses get around here.:rolleyes:

4. I'm playing a Tyler Standard 34" scale five string and it is awesome. I guess for the studio players, Tyler is almost like the West Coast version of Sadowsky. I love my Tyler--I sold my Fodera after I got it. It does an awesome traditional tone, and the Demeter preamp is extremely powerful so the bass is versatile as all get out.

Yeah, the headstock is ugly, but I don't usually have to worry about people wanting to steal it. I also heard that it's built that way to eliminate dead spots. Mine has no dead spots. It's right up there with my MTD 535.

berklee46 just got one from eBay last week, so I'm interested in hearing what he thinks.
    [​IMG]

5. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    But does anybody know The price on Tyler Basses ?? I've been looking at a 35" 5- String myself.........

6. Well, I happened to purchase one, so I can tell you the price on that.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ahh! It looks like you could kill someone with that headstock!

8. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I actually saw the green 5-string on ebay. The only thing wrong with it (besides the color) is that the scale length is a 34" - 35" or 36" is my preference. Another factor is that I live in Denmark and as I recall it the seller would only ship to the States.

My personal opinion is that 2000$ is a okay price for a quality instrument like that one. But I was thinking about the price for a new one. Then I would know if I should kill my dream or think about robbing a bank....................... But what is the "new" price on a Tyler 5-string and is it worth the money ???????? Should I rob a bank or kill the idea ??????

What was the price on the black Tyler you play in the picture ???

9. Gee...so you don't like the headstock?

By the way, what do you think about the Tyler headstock?

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

[​IMG]

I could deal with the headstock with a body like this!

11. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I agree. If I could play a bass that is so beautiful, and sounded good, I would care less about the headstock.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think he meant that the black headstock on yours looks similar to a gun.

Never gotten to play one, but they've got a very high-quality namesake ;)

13. I was trying to be humorous, since he already mentioned the headstock before in this thread. Kind of like those dudes who find Bongo threads and post "that is ugly" or a joke about a toilet seat in every one of them.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tyler people and their headstocks... so touchy:D

Having played one I'd buy one in spite of the headstock. Very nice.

Having a headstock that people find unattactive is definitely a sales impediment. I guess for the builder it must be worth it.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I don't know what's going on with those Sukop headstocks...

16. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    The good thing is that noone would steal your bass. Even though it's a ( I guess ) 4-5000 $ bass. I guess that James Tyler has his reasons to make a headstock that looks like that. If nothing else - You know when you see one. There must be a reason why some Nashville bassplayers - if not all - has a Tyler bass in their collection.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

This guy plays the crap outa his Tyler! The 'Rubberhand' Man!

[​IMG]

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You know, the shape of the headstock doesn't bother me. But does it have to have Tyler on there 73 times?:D

I would love to play one. If they go for $5K new, they have to be great, or people wouldn't buy them!