Tyler Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eldave777, Jul 20, 2005.

1. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Have any of you played one of these basses. My store is a Tyler dealer, and we are going to carry the basses however Tyler isn't making any basses this year. (don't know why) Anyway I need some reviews and opinions. I've heard nothing but good things. :eyebrow:
  2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I played one a long long time ago; it was a different instrument then, but the Demeter pre hasn't changed over the years. They are second to none in the tones department. ;)
  3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Yeah, a real high quality bass in terms of tone and build.
    They are making basses, but they are mostly spoken for from what I understand.
  4. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'm not a big fan of the headstock.
  5. Yeah, the headstock is pretty ugly. I played one once and remember really liking the sound. I never quite figured out all of those controls though.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love Tyler basses. They are some of my favorites by far. I will say however that after playing a few of them my suggestion to you would to be find an older 34" scale one. They smoke the 35" scale Tylers in my opinion. They sound much bigger and warmer. I'd score the one on ebay right now if I had the dough. That's a rediculous price for a Tyler. They usually go for $3000 used.
  7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I keep looking for another bass so I don't have to take my
    Tyler out all the time. I just can't find anything thats better.
    Maybe different, but not better. Beautiful headstock! Strong
    and functional. I have a 34" scale Abe Laboriel 5. The b is
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey B, I saw a Tyler 34" scale 5'er on ebay recently for a great price. It was an all black one. It may still be there. I'm sure that having another Tyler would make it easier to bring one out to gigs. :D
  9. Tyler would be another one of my dream basses. Never played one though as they're as rare as hens teeth in the UK. My best mate has a Tyler Studio guitar though in the Burning Water finish (hardly subtle). So well made just unbelievable !!
  10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

Plain, average looking body style, ugly headstock, thick, uncomfortable neck.

Amazing tone, there are other basses I'd place in its "class" as it were but nothing better.
  11. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

When are you going to post a picture of that bad boy? I want to see! :D
  12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I have played that 34" scale one that was at Corey's last April... Very sweet sound, it's gone now though. Other than that I had tried a hand full of 5's and 6's (all 35's). The Pre-amp is out of this world and the feeling of the neck is real solid.

One of those Tyler's on eBay seems to have Lane Poor P/up's... unreal I tell ya!