1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tyler question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Here, I'll say it first and last:
    THE HEADSTOCK IS UGLY AS HELL!!!!

Actually, I like it. :D
    Now that we are past that nonsense, just curious about the Tyler 5 neck profile (front to back) comparred to say a Sadowsky 5 or Lakland 5? Also the string spacing??
    The 4 as well if ya please. Is it like a Jazz 4 neck blah blah blah......

Anyone ever A/B the two and your thoughts..........

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I do too. I have nothing really useful to add to this. There's a 6 string at Bass Alone that I'd love to check out.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There's a 4 at Basspalace.

I'd love to own a Tyler. I think the headstock looks fine.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Mike, there is a guy selling a Tyler on bassgear.com. He called me a couple years back. Wants a Sadowsky on trade. Look for him there. Maybe he can help with the questions u have. Good luck

Rob

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have the Abe Laboriel 5 model. It has a thinner neck than
    the standard Tyler 5. A bit tight for slapping, but not too
    bad. Very playable bass, that for some is the holy grail.
    Just for the record, I don't mind the headstock at all. My
    only complaint is that the Demeter preamp eats up a pair of
    9 volt batteries really fast. A great "does a little of everything"
    bass.

6. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Mike,

I've played and owned both. I currently own a Sadowsky 4, and a few Tylers - 4's and 5's. (I had a Sadowsky Modern 5 until about a month ago, so I have a recent point of comparison.) I think the general consensus would be that the Tyler neck is a little thicker in profile than the Sadowsky. That said, I don't think it's any less comfortable to play, or slower to get around on. I think the string spacing at the bridge is also the same or close - 3/4". Over the years, Tyler has used different bridges (e.g. Wilkinson),some of which allow spacing changes.

I've never played a Lakland, so I can't compare them.

The Tyler 4 necks do feel Jazz like. My older 4's feel very close to my Sadowsky. The ad at The Bass Palace is dead on - the width is 1.5", but not as cramped as a Jazz.

I'm not sure how he does it, but I never have to adjust the truss rod in my Tylers. Once I've gotten the relief I've wanted, I've never had to make an adjustment. Pretty amazing to me because I live in an area where it gets very humid in the summer. I can't make that claim for any other wooden necked bass I've owned. Granted, I know a seasonal truss rod adjustment isn't a big deal, but I'm always impressed by the stability of these necks.

7. Thanks a bunch Mcdonap!!!
    Answered my question pretty clearly.