Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tym Big Bottom pedal or equivalent

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by atoni, Nov 3, 2004.

1. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    I just read about this Big Bottom pedal from Tym (http://www.tymguitars.com.au/pedals.htm#bigbottom),and I was just curious is there any equivalent device(s) like this one?

"Big Bottom works like frequency splitter so bass players can use any guitar effects they want without loss of clarity in the bass response. Essentially what this gives you is the ability to add a distortion, phaser or whatever your favorite pedal is...and not have your signal fart out anymore! It takes the clean, driving bottom end of the signal and sends that directly to the amp, and at the same time takes the high end frequencies and runs them through an effects loop, then mixes that back in with the clean signal" -http://www.tymguitars.com.au/

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I use a boss ls2 (A/B box) in a similar way (volumes for each signal make it very user friendly). Alright so it's not true bypass, but if you're going to colour it with effects all over the place, it doesn't make too much of a difference. To my ears at least, the tone kicks ass.

3. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    one more vote for the Boss LS2. the volume controls are really practical.

4. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had a Boss LS-2 for awhile, it itsn't true bypass, and I could IMMEDIATELY tell that it sucked the balls out of my tone. Immediately. Great concept, poor implementation. I really, really wanted to like the thing. I wish someone would make a non-tone-sucking version, I'd buy it in a second.

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Definetly cool, but if you use it say with distortion that is good till say 50Hz, anything under that will pass through as a clean low signal. Good & bad. Good because you don't have to run 2 seperate pre's for a dirty/clean blend & you cna use any distortion pedal for its sound & not just if it keeps all the lows, but bad if you're looking for super sick low-end, full distortion. I believe EBS uses this method in the Multi-Drive distortion pedal. It's all a matter of preference & taste. I wonder how much it cost?...

~S~

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    you know i'm looking for something like the Big Bottom too. i'm really interested in getting the Boss PH-3 (since i can't find an Akai Intelliphase :( ) but i've read so much here that is sucks the low end. but the big bottom runs a big price tag. there's got to be something like it out there...right?

-jimbo

8. wsmerwin@hotmai

wsmerwin@hotmai

Jan 30, 2008
    I know it's been a while, but I hope you went ahead and bought the Tym Big Bottom effect. It's worth two hundred considering what it does and how well it does it.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's been four years. I hope you have more to say about this pedal, from your own experience, than how much it's worth. If you do, I'm genuinely interested.

10. wsmerwin@hotmai

wsmerwin@hotmai

Jan 30, 2008
    I use the Big Bottom with a Harley Benton six string bass, an EBS OctaBass, and the Fulltone Ultimate Octave (connected in that order). I have other guitars but the Harley sounds the best in this setup. The sound is incredible. I get beautiful full tones from the octave dividers when playing upper register melodies while avoiding any garbage in the lower register. The shift from single bass notes to triple octave divided ones is subtle and continuous, becoming more pronounced as the pitch rises. In the context of the (Gospel) music I play it can be very effective. It’s a way of making sure the bass is heard without increasing the volume since the processed sound occupies a wider range of frequencies than an unprocessed bass, but I’m not stuck with that harmonized octave sound because the unprocessed lower register is still available to me.

The connections are guitar to Big Bottom input, output of Big Bottom to amp, send of Big Bottom to EBS, output of EBS to Ultimate Octave input, output of Ultimate Octave to return of Big Bottom.

11. tym sells them now.
    they are great. you should get one.

hey is a hella nice guy

12. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bump, as I have a question for wsmerwin:

Is the BB passive, or powered? I've been investigating this sort of circuit*, and I'm curious to know what's going on in there.

c-

*[Edit] For personal use only, I can assure you. Tym's a legend and there's no way I'd do him the dishonour of undercutting him!

13. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I want the exact opposite. Effected lows and mids and clean highs.

14. So run the effects loop out to the amp, then but your effects in line after the clean bass output.