Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Type of Strings( gauge) for Drop Tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by txgxa, Mar 30, 2005.

1. txgxa

txgxa

Mar 30, 2005
    What kind of gauge is good for drop tuning?
    I tune my bass CGCF.
    the style i play is metalcore/hardcore/grind

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Um, I might suggest a light 5 string set

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I would suggest starting with .120, .095. .075, .055. Now this depends on many things. The Brand, type of string, type of Bass, action, how you play and a few other un-knowns.

These gauges are close to the tension tuned up but not exact as I have Zero knowledge of your Bass or your playing style. After trying something like this, tweak the gauges little by little until you find the right string/gauges for your tuning.

4. txgxa

txgxa

Mar 30, 2005
    It is a Fender Jazz Bass (Stardard).
    I usually use Ernie Ball strings.
    i play with a pick.

5. La Bella have some strings specific for down-tuning, gauged: .111, .090, .075, .054

6. I just got a set of these and put them on one of my Reverends. They are designed to be tuned D-G-C-F, and when I strung up and tuned them to pitch, the neck didn't require any adjustment. And, they sound good, too.

7. I use Ernie Ball Power 55-75-90-110 on my 4-string D G C F tunning, they work well but for C i would say use a .125 or lighter B string, and get a setup done