Types of Nylon Round and other Q's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    What types of Nylon round strings are their and what are their differnces? Also on my frets underneath where the string contacts it has like a greenish stuff, dirt... What should I use to clean it off? And I have not messed with my bridge but somehow the screws are moving, is it when I tune? Thanks
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I assume you're talking about tapewound strings. Carvin and Labella make some tapewound strings IIRC. Typically (?) tapewound strings are roundwounds covered in nylon tape. They are described as sounding thumpy and a little brighter than flatwounds, and keeping the same tone for a long, long time.
    You'd get lots more replies if you posted those questions in the setup forum... you can buy fingerboard cleaner at any music store.

As far as the bridge thing, there are lots of screws in a typical bridge so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
  3. You're questions can be answered by a search in much better detail--I started one not too long ago on a similar topic and got several good responses.

La Bella makes the most popular nylon round--I strung 'em up and am very pleased.
    Carvin does not make a nylon round, they just sell La Bellas for THE BEST price around. $18, I believe, as opposed to $40 in stores. www.carvin.com
    Fender makes two types of nylon coated strings. I have no experiece with them, but I have HEARD they are inferior to La Bellas.
    There are a couple of other companies too, I'm not sure which.

I'm really diggin' the La Bellas right now--they are staying on the bass. The retain a lot more brightness than flatwounds, but don't have the twang, clang, clink, or metallic qualities that roundwounds do. I feel that the sound is just BETTER. They cut through the mix better and give me more freedom with my tone too.
    Not to mention they are extemely comfortable to play. They make sliding a lot of fun and marothon playing easier on the fingers.