Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Types of woods for a custom bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Dear Talkbassers:

I am currently considering a couple of bass manufacturers for a custom made bass. I have one particular manufacturer in mind. I am somewhat confused about what type of woods the instrument should be made from. I am almost ($$$) ready to talk about specifics to the manufacturer, but I would like to get more info before I do so. I know it depends on what type of music I play and what type of sound I'm looking for.

Do any of you know of a good article that compares different kinds of woods and the sounds they help to produce? Or an article that compares bass manufacturers with the kind of woods they use?

I already know about the "Quest for Tone" article at the MTD website. It's an informative article, but I'm looking for something with greater detail.

Thanks,

Bassmanbob

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If in doubt, go with Alder. Alder is a very neutral sounding wood. It is a very well balanced wood, without any major sonic peaks.

Ash has a stronger fundamental, with crisper highs. Though, most of the sound you are hearing are harmonics in the tone, not as much fundamental.

I would consider Walnut to be one of my favorites. It has a tone very close to that of Alder. It also has a very distinct mid range.

3. joetiii

joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut