Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Typical damage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 8, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You guys all have your basses, some longer than others, and if you really play them a lot, play them out, you know they're a bit banged up. What did you do to them? Is there something in your style that beats them up in less-than-normal places? Be descriptive.

2. On my ibanez, between the split coil pickup and the neck, the finish is completely fogged out from pick scratches. It then follows around the pickup to the other side, kind of like a crescent moon shape. This is due to my nasty habit of letting the pick contact the bass before it hits the string. The clicking sound it makes helps with my timing when practicing, it doesn't sound or feel right without it.

3. My bass has a lot of scratches on the back from the buttons on the collared shirts I normally wear.

4. mine has scratches on the back from my belt buckle anf a spot that is wearing through at the end of my fretboard on the treble side of the neck from my finger hitting it when playing slap. it also has some dings on the headstock from jumping aroundd on stage and hitting things accidentally (cymbals, walls, other guitar player's guitar etc.).

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Out of curiosity, what's the reason for asking?

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I have an oiled finish on my Dearmond PIlot Deluxe and the its got a patch of scratched and dented finish between the end of the fingerboard and the neck pickup, and sort of to the side of the G string from when I was learning to slap/pop, still catch it occasionally with my nail (even though I bite my nails real short... Must be cos I suck a bit at slapping :D Can kind of make it out in this pic...

7. The Marphy

The Marphy

Mar 19, 2004
    My Ashton AB-2 Bass (Australian Model) takes a hammering (no pun intended) on the E and A strings, closely followed by the pick ups and finally the beautiful red varnish.

The varnish, cop's a lot of blood, sweat and sweat.

Regards
    Paul

8. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Nice bass. :)
    Wouldn't rewaxing take care of the problem? It did on my bass, but the dents weren't as deep, I'm afraid. :meh:

9. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I tend to like low action and can easily damage the finish between the pickups on basses without pickguards (I play fingerstyle and dig deep at times). I also tend to get some sweat damage on the body where my forearm rests. I do get scratches on the back from buttons etc. as well as dings in the headstock from clumsiness.

10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I don't mind it really... Gives it a bit of character, and thanks, it is a nice bass :)

And when I'm famous Fender'll have to start making custom shop 'Tom Crofts' signature basses that are all battered like the Jaco ones. :p

It's only a matter of time (not to mention skill) ;)

11. That sounds like a signature bass. Steve Harris, Roscoe Beck, Stu Hamm, Tom Crofts :D

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My signature models will come with dented headstocks and belt rash. I always wear belts, and my headstocks are another story. I jam them into the grille of my 4x10 playing heavy music for feedback while soloing. The G-string tuner on my Stingray is scratched to hell because I use the bass for a drumstick and hit cymbals. Nothing too bad, no chips in my bass, nothing as bad as Jason Newsted's basses, but that's about all. And they're sweaty. I don't clean them.

Just got a random idea from a thread I saw over at the Dudepit. :)

13. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    I always take the belt off for playing. It caused a funny situation once.

I was auditioning for a band with a female singer and after I turned the amp on I said "OK, let's get down to business." Then I remembered to take the belt off. You should have seen the girl's face when I started doing it after the above intro. :D :bassist:

14. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I've got "belt rash" on all of my basses... I'm thinking about for my next new one, applying some sort of pad on the back... if I can do it without ruining the finish with adhesive...

I also usually wear a hole in the finish above the bridge pick-up from resting my thumb there...

15. I think it might have been funnier if it were a guy singer... :D

16. My Jazz and G&L have a large scratch south and to the rear of the bridge. Roughly the same location. No idea what either of them are from. :rolleyes:

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    How would that create feedback? That's just abusing your equipment. A lot of times, the people doing stuff like that are attempting to make up for something lacking elsewhere. If I went to a show, and a kid was doing this, I'd leave. To each their own, I guess.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How does it create feedback? Well it doesn't directly, but at a high enough volume, the added vibration of the cabinet through the bass sure gets the strings going at the right pitch to create feedback, which then I can manipulate bending the neck and stuff. Very fun with a whammy bar too.

It's not that I'm abusing my instruments, I don't hit them into my amp very hard, it's just that with a steel grille, after a while it chews up my headstock a bit. Nothing too bad, just barely through the clearcoat in about two years.

I personally feel that a performance is much more than playing songs perfectly, but putting on a show as well, and we certainly maintained that having plenty of fun.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It all depends on the vibe and environment.

Maybe with your scene and your music thats ridiculous, but Im with Typlons, in a lot of situations, that just adds.

I know my agressive stage shows landed my band a bunch of gigs.

Peace
    Nick

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    On my Godin i have several dents on the end of the headstock because sometimes i hit the crash cymbal with it.