1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Typical neck width?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mid_life_crisis, Sep 27, 2010.

1. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    I'm finding lots and lots of good information about how to build necks, but no single post or thread that has a nice, organized collection of typical widths at the neck and highest fret for different scales and numbers of strings.
    If there is such a thread, can someone please provide the link?

I'm most wondering about five string widths, in particular what would be considered "normal, but on the wide side". I think it will be a long neck if that makes any difference.

2. Some typical 4 string widths(@ the nut)are 1 3/4", 1 5/8" & 1 1/2"(Fender). Add 20% for a 5 maybe? If I remember I'll measure my 5 later to give you a bit on the other dimensions. I'm not sure what you mean by 'long'- are you talking scale length?

3. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    Exactly, long scale.
    I appreciate the offer to measure. I have a five string ESP right now, I just don't know if that is considered to be average, narrow, or wide.
    I'm planning my first build, which is going to be a five string fretless, so I'm trying to make sure I know what I'm doing before I get started on it.
    It keeps getting more and more ambitious as I plan it.
    Now it looks like it is going to be through neck headless as well as fretless.
    I've even designed my own tuners so they are mostly hidden and won't cover the absolutely gorgeous piece of light waterfall bobinga I found at a local store. It is going to absolutely destroy the budget, but I have to have it.
    It's at least seven feet long and wide enough to be solid top and back. My biggest dilemna at this point is how to allow for wiring access without cutting up that beautiful surface.

4. Metric, I'm afraid. These measurements from my 1984 Aria RSB Deluxe-5 (long-scale):

Width at Nut: 45.8mm
    Width at 1st Fret: 47.2mm
    Width at 12th Fret: 59.3mm

Depth at 1st Fret: 23.4mm
    Depth at 12th Fret: 24.8mm

String Spacing 1st Fret: 40.2mm (avg = 10.05mm)
    String Spacing 12th Fret: 50mm (avg = 12.5mm)
    String Spacing Bridge: 60.8mm (avg = 15.2mm)

Doesn't feel too "clubby" compared to some & not as narrow as the Magna-series 5'er I used to have. Gratuitous pic:

RSB-Deluxe-01.jpg

Pete.