Tyrone Brunson, Light Of The World, Jazzy Dee Bass Lines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Funk$tar, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Found some Funky bass lines over my Winter break and let me tell ya, I am so thankful for the internet!
    I came across 2 bass lines by Tyrone Brunson called, "The Smurf," and "Fresh." These lines are just crazy good and so funky, I am definitely giving them a try.
    I also discovered some British Funk lines by Light Of The World thanks to the late great, Paul 'Tubs' Williams! (R.I.P too) That entire Light of The World album, "Round Trip," is just a great example of Funk bass or bass playing period!
    Along with those guys I also discovered a rare tune from '83 I think which is called, "Get On Up," by Jazzy Dee. Now the bass line on the track is pretty simple, but so complex at the same time. It's just an awesome, fun line that I am going to have to transcribe!
    Just wanted to share a few great gems I found and want you guys definitely to give them a listen or if you already know them, please share some opinions!
    Thanks for reading and Happy 2015!

So many more great lines from these guys so please check them out!

ritz and Tom Bomb like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember The Smurf. I had just finished college, and was substitute teaching before going to grad school. It is a good Stingray slap tune.

Funk$tar likes this.
  3. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Certainly is, and man I would've died to live during that time!
    I'll take living in a period where music was in it's prime than here in the present, where Music is just getting washed up slowly...drool

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The past always looks better than it was. In the early Eighties, it seemed as if the bass guitar was being killed by keyboard bass and drums were being wiped out by drum machines.

5. bass12

bass12 Turn up the Eagles - the neighbours are listening Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    "The Smurf" is something of an electro-funk classic, along with tunes such as "Jam On Revenge" by Newcleus and "Don't Make Me Wait" by the Peech Boys. I was nine years old in 1884 and listening to "break dance music" which included a lot of electro-funk. It was a fun time to be listening to music that was explorative and a bit on the edge. Even at that time (being so young) I had a sense of music moving forward in interesting ways. I often wonder how I would perceive music if I were growing up today. Anyway, here's a list you might find interesting:

http://www.discogs.com/lists/150-recommended-ELECTRO-FUNK-jamz/16985?page=3

Funk$tar likes this.
  6. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    That's true, but as an avid 80s music lover I have to say some of those synth bass lines were just awesome, like for example Fonda Rae & Wish's, "Touch Me." That synth bass line is a great example of Electronic Funk man! Oh and The S.O.S Bands, "Just Be Good To Me," that song is my jam!
    Either way there is no replacing the actual instrument, I mean people can try, but you already know nothing compares to the real thing! ;)

7. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Electronic 80s Funk music is my love next to New Wave!
    I just wish I could shake your hand for giving me this list because I've been trying to look for some new Electro-Funk tunes, so thanks so much man!

8. bass12

bass12 Turn up the Eagles - the neighbours are listening Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, some of the stuff on that list is... less than great! But it will give you a good overview of some of the lesser known stuff (and there's good stuff in there too). Have fun!

Funk$tar likes this.
  9. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Thanks man, I sure will!

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the 80's?!! ,.. the music was sooo not me at that time. i fully connected with reggae, punk, & jazz during that era. the stuff on MTV and the radio was just too processed for my country ass.
    lol,.. i got exactly 48seconds into "Smurf" before i tapped-out! i will say that our reggae & punk bands enjoyed increased popularity over that period. i guess quite a few people were seaching for an alternative to what Dr. Cheese was describing.
    cool basslines are still cool, though! :thumbsup:

Funk$tar likes this.
  11. Mr. Silky

Mr. Silky

Apr 2, 2015
    You are well received in your admiration of Mr. Brunson. After all, he invented the double-thumbing technique without any verifiable credit. 1983 "fresh" was the first time I heard double-thumbing. Ig u can find an earlier recording, im all ears! Tyrone Brunson is an uncreditted bass genious!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021