U-bass Roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by swarfrat, Mar 13, 2018.

1. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    anyone tried both the Kala rounds and the Silver Rumbler (or the pyramids for that matter)? Can the Kalas be cut to length? Are they less stretchy than the thunderguts? After two years the colored pahohoes have just about settled excep theyre overwound and rewinding them will restart the stretch clock.

2. To answer your question
    I replaced my California 5 string fretless with metal strings by KALA. More of electric sound as opposed to the upright-ish sound the Phoehoes give. Also less problems with tuning as well and intonation. It does not hurt to trim some of the metal string off before you install. just do not cut off too much.
    If the current strings still sound good and the have too many wraps around the post, unwind them and cut some of the string off (I would only do about 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time) until there is no string hanging over the tuning head.

3. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Sound is not the primary concern here. This is my kid's u-bass. Frustration free is the name of the game. As in ZERO dancing around the string properties. Since that pic was taken the A string is wound up layers and layers. Oh my goodness - seeing it now the stretch is just insane.
    wDZiArt.jpg

4. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I've tried the Kala metal strings on my Rumbler Ubass. Greatly prefer them over the stock strings. I have a set of pahoehoe on it now, but will be trying the Labella / Gold tone next. On the Kala I would not cut past the tapered area (i.e. where the inner wrap is exposed). The labella have just a single metal wrap as compared with the dual wrap of the Kala. I installed a set of labella on my Taylor mini, and just cut them to size - no problem with unraveling as of yet.

5. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    After 2 years...
    TD5I54Kl.jpg

Kala rounds on order.

bpmben likes this.
  6. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Kala rounds can be cut in the smaller wrapped section no problem. Much lower stretch, like the sound too. Want me a right handed five now for myself.