Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"U can't hold no Groove"

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jan 29, 2003.

1. This song by Victor Wooten is quite amazing. I have heard people have the tabs (or know how to play) this song. I also heard its easier than Classical Thump. i was just wondering if anyone had these tabs.

Thanks
    john

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I can play it. Its easier than Classical thump, but its no picnic. I'm not a fan of tabs, but I think that this song is in the tab archive...not sure though.

3. 'if you ain't got no pocket.'
    hehe

4. I'm almost positive it isnt in archive....if anyone finds some post a link

5. I never really tried "cant hold no groove" but "Classical Thump" is really not that hard. It just sounds alot harder than it is.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah....classical thump is easy once you have the hammer-double thumb down
    The tricky part is Classical thump for me at least is in the middle section, I comped what Vic does by making a tapping line that hits most of the notes and then some, but he actually just thumbs it.
    IF you want to hear what I came up with for classical thump you can check out my http://geocities.com/variant08 mind you its a really old crummy recording

I did not use tabs to learn either songs.

7. yea i can play the thump but i like the way you can't hold no groove sounds..even though classical thump sounds quite nice

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like to hear what you can do...I always love hearing people play wooten stuff, cause no one ever does it quite like him but it almost always sounds good.

9. once i get off my lazy a$$ ill record that and Overjoyed

10. by the way you can double thump like crazy

11. come to think about it i can play some Bela fleck and some of wooten with steve bailey if that counts

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    thanks for the compliment, even though I'm not really into thumpin anymore.

get off your lazy ass! I want to hear something! ;)

I recently finished learning Overjoyed, I'm going to be performing it with my brother playing drums, we've practiced it a few times and it sounds....gooooood(he's a great drummer)

currently I'm learning "Chromatic Fantasy" by Jaco, "Music For Armchair funambulists" by Michael Manring and I'm writing a Song that is my first song to incorperate many alternate tunings, and live changes
    I don't advocate using tabs, I'm much more of a learn-by-ear, guy. lately I think my ear has been getting much better, I've been sucessfully identifying G, C and A...and I have tuned my bass near-perfectly without a tuner(or reference point) a couple of times...its really exciting, I finally feel like I'm getting more fluent at music. but enough about me, I want to hear you! :)

13. well i havent figured out all of overjoyed on a 4 string i only got about a min 30 through the song. And i think i might need a D string for it also :)

Getting that one when the stores open

14. in an hour or two ill post some of me playing

a chick from corea (just meledy)

Bangkok Blues (bass riff and meledy)

classical thump (just beginning rest sounds sloppy when i play it)

part of overjoyed

a slap line from thumb start my harley

and i think ill end with emerald forest

and robot i want to hear your u cant hold no groove

and how long have you been playing

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've been playing just over 5 years now.

I used to have a copy of "u can't hold no groove" on the net...but the server that was hosting it went dead...I'll make a new one and post it again.

I can't wait to hear you.

16. shon

shon

Nov 27, 2002
    Healdsburg, CA!!
    I hate you...well...not really.

17. ill post tonight i forgot i got a new computer and cool edit pro wasnt on it.

Yea i have been playing a good 1 and a half year...i guess im not bad for my experience.

:)

18. How do you link these clips to a geocities website?

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    open a geocities account and use the file uploader...its pretty straight forward...files have to be sub 5 megs...so either compress it if its long, or chop it into multiple files that are smaller.

1.5 years? well you're still a baby, and you use tabs(or so this thread would lead me to believe) so shake the tab habit and mature some.

20. i use tab when im lazy

what i learned by myself is overjoyed and bangkok blues and some other easier stuff. I have to study before i record anything so some will be up by tonight