Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

u have to read this! - help me buy a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jan 5, 2002.

1. warwick corvette FNA jazzman

39 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. bass lab (can't remember the name)

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. spector NSCR5FM

34 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. ibanez EDC 700

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. ibanez BTB 400

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. yamaha BBG4A

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. dean edge

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Sorry if I got your hopes up, this isn't something amazing, I just need people to look at this because no1 normally does on my posts

N e way, this is my problem, I need a new bass and am confused as to what I should do, here are my options

1. Save up for a long time and get a great bass

2. Save up for a shorter time and get a half decent bass (around 500 pounds (UK))

The first option is obviously the 1 I’d prefer, the trouble is that I would be stuck with my falling apart Yamaha RBX260 for a long long time, and if I took the second option at least I would have a half decent bass until I could save up for a really good 1, n e, the poll contains the basses I want, the first 3 are the ones I would get for the first option and the other 4 are for the second option, so vote for which option I should go for and which bass in that category I should get, n e other options u can think of would be greatly appreciated

Thanx

2. we all get serious amounts of GAS and those of us who act on them will have nice equipment. however if your not in the situation to buy'nice' new gear then it's a serious pain in the a$$.

if i were you i'd try and get on with what you have, if you can get by with the rbx then do! you have a nice little amp so just woodshed away.

however if your really feel as if you can't go on with your current bass and its hurting your playing and technique then do what you can.

what you have to remember is, that if you buy a cheaper bass now, it'll take you a lot longer to get the 'great bass' you always wanted.

something we should all do is consider how important new equipment is.

i've just changed my mind about a new amp setup and am going to wait to try out some of the Euphonic Audio stuff, but only because i was forced to think it through.

if you were a little older you could buy a great bass now and pay it off, but thats probably not a option.

i had to wiat over a year before i got my Overwater 5 string and that was through the help of a few friends and family!!

if you can hold on do, if not, draw on all the resources you can to get a bass your happy with.

used gear may be the way to go. £500 could get you a really nice bass, and you wouldn't have to save more and sell it later.,

stu

3. guitarbloke

guitarbloke

Nov 20, 2001
    England
    Take a look at Shuker basses, they do a good bass around £500 UK. ( and its handmade )

www.shukerguitars.co.uk

Good luck

4. thats very usefull info tyburn and guitarbloke, thanx alot!
    big help

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Of all those, I voted for the Spector, money not being an option... For the budget-conscious, I would go with the Ibanez BTB. I just think that would be the best bet as far as bang for the buck...

P@

6. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    You could buy a warwick corvette standard used and meet your budget. Decent bass too.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  8. You can't go wrong at all with the Czech made Spectors. I own 3 of them and can tell you that they really do compare to basses costing nuch, much more.

9. If the Spector is a bit too pricey for you then I'd recommend the Edge Improv from Dean and only the improv. They are also Czech made and share the same electronics as the Spector. The rest of the Edge line really don't compare to the Improv.
    www.deanguitars.com

You should also check out the Brian Moore i2000 series basses at www.bmcguitars.com

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yowza! That one looks kinda derivative of RA, but that top is schaweet!

wotnotwy, out of the 1's that U picked, I would get the Basslab or Czech Spector, but 4 the low priced 1, I would look at the Yamaha.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

;)

12. Err. If you can afford a FNA Jazzman, why consider a BTB or Yamaha. If its gonna take you longer to save then if you are look ing to spend around £500. I would go for the Yamaha or if you can squeeze around £600 go for another Yamaha a TRB II. I think they are great basses. Im not saying buy it per say rather try it as another option.

sim

13. I WAS going to go with the Ergodyne, but after seeing those beautiful Shukers, man, what a cool design!!

Rock on
    Eric

14. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I'd go with the second option, why dont you buy a good used bass?

:rolleyes:

15. Hootz

Hootz

Jul 1, 2001
    Hull, England
    If worst comes to the worst, there are alwyas Tanglewood basses... they look good, they sound good and they're not really that expensive. If it's names you're after, then you'd be best off going for something a little more well known, but believe me, they're a very good name, and they're based in England as well which is handy for repairs. I've got a Rebel 4K, and it's got a very rich sound for a £200 guitar. According to my bass tutor, its sound is also pretty distinctive and hard to replicate with your run-of-the-mill effects.

There's my humble opinion for you. Just go with ones that sound nice and look good, not on brand. If it looks like it was fashioned by a God but sounds like a squealing donkey pass it by...

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi wotnwhy - GAS dilema, I love it!!!

Anyway, I voted for the Czech Spector, I've got a 5 stringer (not the Figured Maple top, and older one). I would highly recommend it!! I don't think there is a better bass for the money (my opinion only of course!)

An alternative to this theme is to get one of the Korean built Professional series Spector basses. I recently bought a REX2000/5 for £665 and haven't been disappointed - even though I own a Czech one already!!! Plus the Holoflash finish is pretty cool!!!:D

17. well... me as a Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman lover and owner , I would recommend the F.N.A. it's a corvette with a nice Jazz pickup ... it's a nice one !!! nice tones, realy a great bass !!

18. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i voted spector. you wont be disapointed. you will not ever want a new bass until you can afford the american spector so its a good choice.

the yamaha you mentioned is the one with the single P pickup right? if so, then its really not a bad bass.

if you dont want to spend money on the Czech spector, get the korean neckthrough one. see my gear page (signature) and i have a few pics of mine. they have it on Musiciansfriend.com if you want to check prices, but i never liked the pic on that site.

19. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
  20. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Spector. Plays well, sounds great, and built to last.

I wish I could take my own advice... :rolleyes:

buuuuuut, I'm going to suggest trying to save up for the Spector. :)