U.k. amp in Canada. help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rorykins, Feb 8, 2006.

1. hello all.
    im a Canadian currently living in the UK. i need to buy some gear to gig with while im here. ive found some good stuff all over. im going to pick up an Ampeg ba115 bass amp, and a 70s Ampeg G-100 guitar amp. my question is= what will need to be done to these amps in order for me to use them in canada where the voltage is different?
    anyone know or have info?
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Most gear produced in the last 20 years can be reconfigured internally for either 100 or 220v, most from before that cannot, you need to verify whether it can be done before buying. Have a qualified technician check it if you must, retrofitting a new transformer can cost more than the amp.
  3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Almost EVERY piece of equipment that was made in USA for an export market will work on US voltage also. And, the 60Hz vs 50Hz is not an issue when going from 50 to 60.

I am pretty sure all the BA115 models are like that. Any amp with a "universal" transformer is re-wireable by any service center.

The old G-100 *probably* is like that. Maybe not.

At worst, you can use a step down transformer for the G-100, similar to how some folks use US gear at 230V.