Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

U.K. t.b.ers! Best cab for £300?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Jan 11, 2006.

1. all those that live in the u.k. this is a question for you which cab out of

Peavey, behringer, laney, warwick, hartke, trace, ashdown or any other commonly available (in the U.K.) brand should i go for?
    playing a warwick thumb 5, trace head. i got a 1X15 i need a 4X10..
    any one?

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Depends what you're after. Will you be using this with the 115 or on its own (or both, depending on gig size)? What sort of tone are you after? Style of music? Do you use just the rig or go through the PA, etc etc etc

I love my Hartke 2.5xl (2x10 with a 5" HF unit) myself - works well on its own or with my 115xl. But that's me and my sound, doesn't mean it will be ideal for you.

Try 'em if you can.

3. at the moment im playing in a metal band i also like to soften up and play motown, jazz, reggae so i want something with a bit of sensitivity and versatility if thats possible with out spending a million squids:crying:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You get what you pay for...:meh:

5. Not always true . . .

My peavey 2x15 cost £75 and kicks ass :D

6. Bruce Lindfield

You'll probably get more than £75's worth of back problems lifting that thing!! ;)

7. Hahaha, i doubt it, go the NHS !!

+ my dad's a physiotherapist, so, i'll be fine, even if my back isnt :p

8. Bruce Lindfield

The NHS are worse than useless at dealing with bad backs - I have private health insurance, but it doesn't stop you taking time off work when you have a bad back and even worse - stops you playing bass!! :(

9. I would try and pick up a used Trace, or Ashdown ABM.

10. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    I tried a Hartke 4x10 when i bought my Warwick Infinity SN 5 and it sounded fantastic! Would have bought that too if i'd had the money. That was at the Bass Cellar in Denmark St.

11. Were you served by the bald guy with glasses? If so was he his usual rude self?

Matthew

12. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    No, he had a full set of hair. Think he was foreign sounding, spanish or Italian i think. Was a few years ago. He was very helpful and let me sit there for ages trying loads, i was very indecisive.

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I know the guy you mean and agree with you. he thinks he knows it all.
    funny story. went in there and asked the (sexy) girl for a set of d'darrio chromes and she told be "this is a bass shop and we dont sell guitar strings"......not been back since.

Dave.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    There you go then, simple answer to every gear related query. Just buy the most expensive thing you can find and it will be the best.

Er....

15. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    aight mate, check out www.gak.co.uk its got loads of bass cabs on there. its got the new trace range as well i think. but its got behringer and hartke etc have a look hope it helps

16. Best chance is gonna be going second hand