Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

U.K. Talkbassers - Get 'em while theyre cheap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Paul A, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    U.K. guys,
    Now is the time to buy cheap bass parts from the colonials across the pond!
    The exchange rate at the moment is nearly 2 dollars to the pound.
    I just got a set of covers for a p bass (pickup and bridge) for 30 dollars plus postage ( which is cheaper than u.k. postage!).
    Less than 20 quid!
    :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    so we're not talking about the purchasing of cheap UK Talkbassers? Damn, I'm running short and need a few more.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What - you need us as Butlers in your palatial residences, to add that certain "je ne sais quoi" ?

I think I would be the worst Butler ever - although I could certainly do the bit about acting snotty and looking down my nose at how uncultured my employers are!! ;)

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not opening the can of worms that 'uncultured employers' reference is :)

And anyway, I'm a relocated Brit so nyah!

Countdown to thread close/relocation... 10...9...8..

5. Bruce Lindfield

So Paul A's comment about "the colonials across the pond!" must have resonated with you, particularly!! ;)

6. And.... We're back on topic. :)

I was told by somebody that VAT or duty isn't payable on bass components. I'm sceptical about that statement. Anybody got any experience or wisdom on this?

Mike

7. Bruce Lindfield

Somebody metioned in a previous thread how he paid a large amount (Customs fees as well, for opening the package!) on some Rickenbacker parts that he ordered from the US.

I think the point is that if the senders put on a customs sticker that says "worth less than $30" - then it won't get stopped.

But if they don't or won't say it's worth less than $30 - then customs will open it and feel obliged to charge a lot, to make it worth their while!!
    :meh:

You could just be lucky though....

8. Bruce Lindfield

So - at $2 to the £ - then it should be £15 plus postage - so you paid £5 for postage?

9. I make a living out of random processes, but that just seems *too* random. ;)

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    ----------------------------------------------
    "And anyway, I'm a relocated Brit so nyah!"
    ----------------------------------------------

Doesn't that make you a pilgrim?

Prices are very attractive right now for anyone living in Europe. The downside is the European made product prices will soon be shooting through the moon in the USA. I wonder when we'll see price hikes on Asdown, EBS, etc in the stores stateside.

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Bruce,

30 dollars = £16.65
    6 dollars postage = £3.33
    Total = £19.98!
    Customs will not charge if there is a U.S. postal service "CN 22" sticker on the package stating that the value (in U.S. dollars)is less than the equivalent of £18 u.k. (at the moment about 32.5 dollars)

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ahhh, it's a better fit in Misc, anyway. Moved.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Yes that's what I was saying - it means it's good for strings - I have bought all my strings from the US and never been charged. Books as well - no VAT on books.

But I did get charged £12 (extra) for a 3 CD boxed set I ordered from the US, that had no sticker and was opened!!
    :meh:

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've no idea what it makes me, just one more ex-pat Brit in New York - there's loads of us!

But yeah, I often order books from amazon UK and I've been holding off for a while on the hopes the exchange rate would go down again. I think it was 1998 it got down to around 1.3 USD to the pound.

15. ::heads to buy a few more packs of strings::

yehaw!! :D

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    David The Brit in NYC.....I hope you have access to real beer.

Have you ever dared to walk into Denny's and order spotted dick? LOL

17. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Yep! I've ordered a few things from across the pond recently with an eye on the exchange rate. Back in November I ordered a set of Bill Lawrence pickups, which will hopefully be with me soon. They work out to be round about the same price as buying a set of Kent Armstrongs from a UK supplier (although import duty & vat will bump it up a bit).

Another tip for UK bassers - Academy of Sound are selling Ashdown Electric Blue EB180-15 combos for three hundred quid (it's in their Christmas brochure). Great amp for the money!

Kenny

18. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not sure that shipping amps across the Atlantic is a good idea - so International shipping costs are generally based on weight and it could get vey expensive!!! ;)

19. Academy of Sound is a UK shop.

Bruce - where do you buy your strings from again?

20. Bruce Lindfield

Arrrgh - don't remind me - www.sheetmusicplus - but I've just discovered their musicians store seems to have disappeared!! :bawl: