1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U of Hartford Audition

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by tplyons, Feb 8, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been accepted into the Acoustics and Music program at the University of Hartford pending I pass the classical DB audition. I am having surgery soon, planned long ago, and is the day before the last date to audition. I have spoken to the bass instructor at U of H and he is willing to see me at a later date for my audition.

First of all, I am a novice to playing. I'm a slab player of four years and grabbed a DB for the first time fourteen months ago. I'm still a newbie in many senses, but I have a deep passion for the instrument, and was wondering if anyone had any tips.

This is only my second DB audition ever (the only other was HS seating auditions, which I recieved third out of seven... all six others have been playing for at least three years, and fell behind two extraordinarily outstanding players) and managed to do alright. I had a half hour with the audition piece and thirty seconds with the sight reading and only botched a high F# so I was proud of myself.

The audition requirements are as below:
    One orchestral excerpt from the standard repertoire
    Two contrasting solo selections (can include movements from sonatas or concerti, and can include an étude)
    Scales and arpeggios as follows: 2-octave scales and arpeggios in 3 different keys (2 major and one minor) and at various speeds played legato separate bows, slurred (3 or more notes per bow) and spiccato
    Sight-reading may be required.

Could anyone provide any recommendations for pieces to play? I have about six weeks to do this (four of which I'll be weak due to surgery)

Also, do you think I will recieve pity points due to my weakness?