Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

u-retro deluxe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stroy05, Aug 24, 2001.

1. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    any body out there ever play a bass with a u-retro preamp. I am looking for a preamp for my new bass. How does it compare to bartolini or hazlab or the fodera preamp?

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Is this the one that went on to become the j-retro?

Here's a blurb on the u-retro from the kingbass site...
    Here's the j-retro site -- http://www.j-retro.co.uk/main.htm

Sorry :(. I haven't tried either.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    well, i've been thinking about j-retros (even though i probably won't buy one within a year if i wanted to.) I have never really been impressed by active basses. I dig the eq and all the feature, but i've always found them to sound cold and harsh. I wondered if the j-retro would change the passive sound of my jazz bass much?

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Since when did "active" sound cold and harsh? What basses did YOU try?

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Musicmans, warwicks, active fenders, ibanezs, carvins, alembics (but i still like them a lot) to name some. BTW, thanks for the help.

6. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I am using a J-Retro in an MIM jazz right now and couldn't be more happy with it. A very wide variety of tone options, good smooth sound and tons of output.

There is also a "Deluxe" model available which adds some passive tone control. This option is nice if you play a lot in the passive mode.

Circuit wise, the J and the U are the same. The J is just set up on a Jazz bass control cover for drop in replacement on a Jazz Bass.

Here's a site link: http://www.j-retro.co.uk/

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have the deluxe J-Retro install in a MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe 5. It's great... all the tonal control I could possible need at my fingertips.

On the "cold and harsh" tip, sure it can happen... but that would make guys like Pino Palladino, Tony Levin, Paul Spencer Denman, Marcus Miller, Otiel, Alphonso Johnson, Louis Johnson, Jimmy Johnson, Brad Johnson (;)), etc., etc., etc. that much harder to explain.

You can blame the technology... or the nut behind the wheel;)

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yea, it is probably the nut behind the wheel's fault.

headed for my first step:

Hello, i'm P.O.T. and i can't operate an active bass. Well, maybe cold and harsh aren't the best words to describe how i think it sounds, but i can't think of a good word to use. (someone is going to make me look like a bigger idiot after saying that)

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    where can i find the deluxes? How much more are they?

10. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    They are available through Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Company or Bass Northwest.

http://www.vintagebass.com/

I think cost is around $275.00

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings