U-Retro for Warwick Corvette

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kin Korn Karn, May 26, 2002.

1. Hi folks,

I'm wanting to upgrade the electronics in my Corvette Standard. I've decided on EMG-Js for the pickups (J + LJ). If I go with an EMG preamp it'll be the BTC, since it would basically drop in.

I really like the specs of the U-Retro preamp, though. I have some questions about it:

- Will the U-Retro complement the EMG pickups well? i.e. are there any impedance issues or such.
    - If I install it with EMGs, will I need two batteries? Electrically, the U-retro and EMG will run just fine off of one 9-volt, but that's like double the power draw so battery life is a concern.
    - Are the pickup/passive switches still separate toggles on the U-retro?
    - The U-retro's midrange control has a really wide sweep, is it difficult to zero in?

There's nobody around that has a bass with a J- or U-retro, so I can't just play it and see for myself.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. while i can't help you with your questions, i recommend checking out The Dudepit. they have a forum dedicated to the j/u retro and the guy who makes the things is a regular. they can answer all your questions.
  3. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    By all means, drop by the Pit, there's plenty of more knowledgeable people there than me, but I'll try to answer some of your questions. The J/U-retros do indeed work with EMG pickups, and can be run off of the same battery. From what I've heard, the retro is a nice match for the EMGs, people say it helps warm them up a little while still retaining the EMG clarity. Yes, the active/passive and blend switches are still seperate toggles on the U retro. And while the midrange sweep is fairly wide, I never had any problems dialing it in, unless you're shooting for a very exact frequency, in which case you're looking for graphic EQ anyways. In short, they're great units.
    It should be noted that while I do indeed work for Steve Barr, I owned two East retro preamps before that, and plan to put a U-retro in my 5 string EMG-equipped bass.

Dude's Roadie
  4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got two basses with the John East pre. One with the tone knob and one without. You are more than welcome to come by and play on them. Although, Little Rock is about a 10 hour drive.
  5. cool. thanks to all for your input!
    I checked out the Dudepit, and it looks like EMGs with a U-retro are the way I'm going to go.