U-Retro Preamp + Warwick SSII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 19, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    so i just learned about the J-Retro Deluxe - the one with 4 knobs and a side jack. i'm assuming this one would come in U-retro version as well...

which means with 4 knobs i could put it in my SSII. :D

i like how my SSII sounds, but it could have a bit more bottom to the sound, and more importantly be less noisy. and more versatility is always nice too, right?

(am i crazy thinking that this j-retro deluxe is real close to the Fodera/Pope preamp - it seems like it has almost the same features (with the addition of the mid sweep)

so - how would it sound with the stock MEC pickups? would some other pickups sound even better? i'm looking for a very full and clear tone, with lots of growl. barts? ultra-jazz? basslines? (i wish there were still lane poor pickups around, i think i'd really like those)
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Often when people talk about getting a preamp, they also start talking about other pickups... I don't get it, if I had a good bass, and wanted a new preamp, I would just buy that first, and then if i thought the pickups were lacking, i'd replace them later. You don't HAVE to replace it all at once. About the retro: people mention all the time that it "improves" the sound of the stock pickups, but then again, people like to diss MEC's too. ;)
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i think i remember hearing someone over on the fodera yahoo club saying the pope and the retro sound pretty different.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I guarantee you'll be surprised at how good stock pickups sound with this pre! I've got the stock fender pickups with the JRetro in my jazz, and it's the bomb! I've just ordered two more for two of my other basses, with probably two more after that!