Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

U-Retro Users???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 25, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Would the U-Retro fit this ok??? This is a USA Custom Jay Jr. body which is similar to a "dinky" jazz bass body. i'm afraid that the internals route might be too small for anything as big as the U-retro.

anyone have what the U retro working in a dinky jazz?

[​IMG]

2. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    > Would the U-Retro fit this ok???

What does the back route look like? Gotta pic of it instead of the front? Do you know the dimensions of the rear route cavity?

I installed one in a G&L L-5500 no problem, but I can't compare cavities. The U-Retro's circuitboard is actually quite small. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

-- Gil

3. does the G&L L-5500 have the same schematics as the L-2000 or the L-2500?? In that I mean the 3 switch and 3 knob configuration.

if so...how did the U-retro fit with the configuration.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah,

thanks sooo much!

just wondering, but will the sound of the preamp dramatically change the sound of my jazz bass? or will it still sound like a jazz bass? i get the impression that it'll make it become a P bass or somethin!

5. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    > does the G&L L-5500 have the same schematics as the L-2000 or the L-2500?? In that I mean the 3 switch and 3 knob configuration.

No. The L-5500 has 2 EMG soapbars and 3 knobs (volume/pan/bass-treble stack [BTC]). The 2000 & 2500 have the G&L MFD's and the switches for phase, series/parallel, etc.

> will the sound of the preamp dramatically change the sound of my jazz bass?

No & Yes. The J-Retro "can" dramatically change the sound of your bass IF you choose to (i.e. if you crank the bass, mid , treble settings), however, it is designed to retain the original Jazz bass sound with the controls all at the center detent (0 cut/boost). It does have a built-in slope but does not alter the tone very much IMO.

> i get the impression that it'll make it become a P bass or somethin!

No. But you can get a better facsimile P bass sound by panning neck pup only, kicking up the bass & treble a tad and setting the mid freq. sweep to the low mid "thump" and boosting it a little. Not exactly a P, but better then what you can currently get. Your J will still sound like a J, but your palette of tones with the J-Retro is huge! :D

-- Gil

6. And they KILL in G&Ls, as I'm sure Gil can testify to!
    I've got one in my Schecter J (FS below, pardon the plug..) and set flat, it still retains all of it's J-bass sound. Unlike a J however, you can use the EQ to get some mighty interesting tones: a personal fave is about 2/3 from center blend towards the bridge pickup, bright on, treble slightly boosted, bass at the center, and mids slightly cut around 6-700hz.

mike