1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U-Retro Users???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jan 25, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    Would the U-Retro fit this ok??? This is a USA Custom Jay Jr. body which is similar to a "dinky" jazz bass body. i'm afraid that the internals route might be too small for anything as big as the U-retro.

anyone have what the U retro working in a dinky jazz?

[​IMG]

2. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    > Would the U-Retro fit this ok???

What does the back route look like? Gotta pic of it instead of the front? Do you know the dimensions of the rear route cavity?

I installed one in a G&L L-5500 no problem, but I can't compare cavities. The U-Retro's circuitboard is actually quite small. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

-- Gil

3. does the G&L L-5500 have the same schematics as the L-2000 or the L-2500?? In that I mean the 3 switch and 3 knob configuration.

if so...how did the U-retro fit with the configuration.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    woah,

thanks sooo much!

just wondering, but will the sound of the preamp dramatically change the sound of my jazz bass? or will it still sound like a jazz bass? i get the impression that it'll make it become a P bass or somethin!

5. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    > does the G&L L-5500 have the same schematics as the L-2000 or the L-2500?? In that I mean the 3 switch and 3 knob configuration.

No. The L-5500 has 2 EMG soapbars and 3 knobs (volume/pan/bass-treble stack [BTC]). The 2000 & 2500 have the G&L MFD's and the switches for phase, series/parallel, etc.

> will the sound of the preamp dramatically change the sound of my jazz bass?

No & Yes. The J-Retro "can" dramatically change the sound of your bass IF you choose to (i.e. if you crank the bass, mid , treble settings), however, it is designed to retain the original Jazz bass sound with the controls all at the center detent (0 cut/boost). It does have a built-in slope but does not alter the tone very much IMO.

> i get the impression that it'll make it become a P bass or somethin!

No. But you can get a better facsimile P bass sound by panning neck pup only, kicking up the bass & treble a tad and setting the mid freq. sweep to the low mid "thump" and boosting it a little. Not exactly a P, but better then what you can currently get. Your J will still sound like a J, but your palette of tones with the J-Retro is huge! :D

-- Gil

6. And they KILL in G&Ls, as I'm sure Gil can testify to!
    I've got one in my Schecter J (FS below, pardon the plug..) and set flat, it still retains all of it's J-bass sound. Unlike a J however, you can use the EQ to get some mighty interesting tones: a personal fave is about 2/3 from center blend towards the bridge pickup, bright on, treble slightly boosted, bass at the center, and mids slightly cut around 6-700hz.

mike