1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. G&L Without Certificate or Case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the federalist, Feb 14, 2020.

1. the federalist

the federalist I think about basses a lot. Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2014
    I'm pondering the purchase of a used G&L in super condition, but it doesn't come with a G&L case or the certificate of authenticity. It comes with "a" case.

I don't doubt it's authenticity, but wonder how much the lack of the certificate and the case might affect a future sale should that come to pass.

It bugs me slightly, but it looks and sounds terrific. No surprise there.

Anyone have strong feelings either way?

2. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    You are a little bothered by the lack of COA and the case. Every future buyer will have those same concerns. Your call...

GlennRH likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How old is it? If it's a year old, those missing items would bother me. If it's 20 years old, I would think that's more common.

bhunt1, Ikkir and the federalist like this.
  4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Would not be much concern at all.

I have no use for HSCs. I much prefer a nice gig bag.

COA...meh. Nice to have I guess. Do they list all the options for a custom order? If some one were to make a passable fake G&L, a phony COA would be a piece of cake.

lfmn16, LowActionHero and Ikkir like this.
  5. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    If you’re ok with it’s authenticity, you can order a replacement COA from G&L. I wouldn’t care too much about the case but I think you can get those from G&L also.

6. the federalist

Aug 10, 2014
    That's an excellent suggestion. Thanks!

Clutchcargo and Jackcrow like this.
  7. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I would not let it bother you. Both are replaceable and I doubt anyone is ripping off G&Ls. As long as it is not a tribute being passed off a as American you should be safe. I only have COA for one of my three. I have followed G&Ls for nearly 20 years and see them sell all the time for similar prices with and without COA. Depending on the year it may not have even had one to begin with.

I personally dislike G&Ls new cases. They are nice G&G cases but have basically no storage inside. I preferred their old SKB style cases because they had enough room to store a strap without it bouncing around the case. In fact I replaced the one that came with my JB5 for an SKB I series case.

8. the federalist

Aug 10, 2014
    I'm pretty sure I found a Reverb listing for the same bass, sold as new. Listed as a 2014. I happen to have a nice G&L case that I use for another bass. If I purchase the COA and Build Specs I think I'm set!

Clutchcargo and two fingers like this.
  9. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    I agree totally with AhadL2500. Well said, and true..... Original cases/case candy are nice and I'm glad two of my three G&L's had the factory G&G cases. But they're heavy as heck and I use them for home storage only. Give me a good bag or preformed case for gigging. Collectors and flippers would probably be more concerned. Like those TV commercials, "it's what's inside" that makes me grin...….. :)

10. Pics or it never happened.....

11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Buy it and play the thing, resale be damned. Don't buy it if that's what you're worried about. They're fantastic instruments, but terrible financial investments.

12. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    As stated, you can order a replacement COA. About the case..... the G&G cases that come with the instruments are nicely made, but are some of the worst fitting cases, for an OHSC, that I've ever seen. You're better off with a decent bag IMO.

13. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    He's pondering the purchase. Do we need pics of him pondering?

14. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I woudn't be concerned about either of those things being missing. It's not terribly uncommon.

15. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    main-image.jpeg

16. This, 100%. I’ve never played a COA that sounded all that good. Maybe they’re just not my thing. But I bet that bass sounds great!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  17. Yep

18. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Ah, the famous "The Ponderer" statue. Does that come with a COA?

Actually, I recall that "The Thinker" by Rodin is one of the most copied(?) sculptures in the world.

Relsom and db59 like this.
  19. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    That seems a little weird Bob.