Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

u.s. masters ep52-5string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by warnan, May 25, 2005.

1. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That model? Yeah, I think it's worth it. Usually the standard 1 P pickup model goes for that!

3. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    can't find this model on their website i mean only have 3 knobs, different from those ep52.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    US Masters stuff is first rate. I don't know how they can sell them at the prices they get.

5. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    to buy or not to buy :confused:
    anyone played that before?

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm thinking that may be an older model. I will assume the volume/blend knob is a stacked one and the other 2 control bass and treble (2 band eq). The switch probably controls passive/active mode. It's still a very nice bass. I've not played one but am itching to but no stores in my area sell them!! :scowl:

Here's the current model.
    [​IMG]

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I can tell you this. I've toured the small factory facility of theirs in Middleton, WI and it's a first-rate operation through and through. With a US Masters bass, you're getting basically a handmade bass with attention to detail. And they are first-rate on customer service as well. One of these days I'm going to have them build me a fretless.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    May want to PM TB'er "Lo end PUNCH". He has two US Masters basses...

I'm thinking of getting a fretless 5 myself.. :meh:

Edit:

WOW!! Love that neck!!

[​IMG]

9. I almost grabbed that one about 3 weeks ago. When I looked up reviews, there several complaints of B string playability and sound. The price seems right, but I currently have Lakland 5's w/great B strings and wasn't willing to gamble $800. Looks great tho!

10. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    still can't make up my mind to buy it cause i live far away from u.s. :crying:

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I have two, an ep45 and an ep5 and I'm waiting on an ep6(yes the now offer a 6 string). I have never read a bad review of a US Masters and this prompted me to visit their shop. First off they're super nice guys and will go out of their way to accomodate you. Mark Beem has been trying to show me how to post the pics from my e-mail but for some reason IT'S NOT WORKING :( but I'm working on it by the time you read this. I can tell you that both my basses are top notch quality. I picked out all my own woods and they have quite a bit to offer. The standard electronics are Kent Armstrong which are very quiet and very powerful. The patented neck joint is super stiff. My b string BANGS and is very taut, especially on the ep5. A US Masters at $999.00 is a steal man, plus they'll do ANY work on it you feel is nescessary.

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here ya go..

[​IMG]

BTW, check you PM.

;)

13. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've owned an EP-52 and EP-5 and still own an EP-42 and EP-4.

That price is about right but if you were patient you could probably do a bit better used. They don't tend to get high $$ used.

Now for the bad news... US Masters 4 strings are incredible basses with really comfortable necks and great tone. Both of the 5 strings I tried had HUGE necks!! The nut wasn't any wider than what I'm used to but the necks were both super thick front-to-back. If you like baseball bat necks you'll love a US Masters 5 string but I prefer their thin 4 string necks. I also found the B string to be unpleasantly floppy for a 35" scale on both basses.

The controls on that EP-52 are the older controls: Vol, Pan, Tone, all passive with switches for tone filter type and capacitor select. Really amazing set of controls, lots of tonal variation and most of the sounds are very useable.

So overall I'd say you can't go wrong with a US Masters 4 string but you might want to try before you buy with the 5ers. My 5 string comments are based on my fave 5er - a Lakland. Just my experience...

14. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    wow, nice basses
    floppy low b:-(,why.......it has a 35" scale

15. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I was very surprised by the floppiness, I've owned quite a few 5ers searching for the best compromise on tone/string tension/weight and balance. Lakland gets great B string tension from 35", as did the Ken Lawrence Associate 5 I had.

16. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    thanks bdgotoh
    i give up