1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. Navy Bombs Guam - with frozen mice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Oct 1, 2010.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    In a ploy to rid Guam of its population of invasive brown tree snakes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture is bombing the island with drugged frozen mice, military news outlet Stars and Stripes reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/01/navy-bombs-guam-dead-mice/?test=latestnews

“The discovery that snakes will die when they eat acetaminophen was a huge step forward,” Anne Brooke, conservation resources program manager for Naval Facilities Command Marianas told Stars and Stripes. “The problem was how you get the snakes to eat it.”

The solution was to drop the mice into the snakes’ natural habitat, the branches of trees in the jungles of Guam. By outfitting the mice with cardboard wings and green party streams, the bait could float down to the jungle and catch on the branches. The result is a hanging, deadly snack for the snakes.

I'd pay good money to see this.

2. Awe - some.

3. :D

I, too, would pay handsomely

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That's the craziest, most awesome scheme I've ever heard of. Can you imagine some lab scientist taping paper airplane wings and party streamers to frozen mouse corpses? I'm going to intentionally picture that all day.

5. Dunno if it will work. Some snakes will not eat dead prey. Mine will not eat anything unless it's killed the critter itself.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    We humans have a history of well-meaning but poorly thought-out ways to deal with invasive animal populations (that generally were caused by our actions to begin with).

I forget the island, somewhere in the Carribean - island was getting overrun with rats (that got there via trade ships). So the colonial rulers of the island brought in a bunch of cats to control the rats.
    Unfortunately, there are no natural predators or population control mechanisms there for cats (which are another introduced species...)
    So the cats did make short work of the rats.
    Then started decimating the population of other, non-invasive local small critters.
    Bad juju.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    same thing with the introduction of the Cain toad if Australia.

8. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Yea, but I doubt dead mice will start eating the crops on guam.

9. Acetaminophen = Tylenol, right? So the problem is how to get the snakes to take tylenol? Why not give them a bunch of free tequila so they get really drunk, and the next day when they're all hungover, they'll want tylenol for their headaches?

10. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    and the rabbit.

11. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    now see the best ideas always come right AFTER the decision to act...

12. Sounds like a waste of nectar of the gods.

13. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    At the very least they need to be warmed up to body temp so they trigger the snake's heat sensors.

14. Nah. I've fed hundreds of thawed mice at room temp or cooler to snakes. I have also had a snake that would only eat what it killed but I always wondered if that was a just in captivity thing.

15. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    He said Tequila, not Scotch.

16. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    smart animal

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Exactly...in theory, anyway. The idea, of course, is that the snakes eat the mice and both animals die. Therefore, the net result is reducing the snake population, as designed. However, what happens if some of the mice survive? Animals have a strong sense of self-preservation - even half-frozen ones pumped full of painkillers.

Somehow, this plan has the strong odor of being hatched during a long night of booze and cocaine.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    W

I

N

19. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    they carpet bombed California with hot Asian assassin chicks to get rid of Maki, we see how well that turned out.

20. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    that was a glorious day. College is much more fun now because of it :smug: