Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

U2 on SNL

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Nov 21, 2004.

1. How bout that for a show! 3 songs, and a fourth as they cut away at 1 AM. Their performance was no doubt intended to return the credibility of SNL's live musical show, and U2 is just a great band. Adam's tone on that 70s Jazz was killer and the whole band sounded really tight.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah but he didn't do a hoedown so it was all for naught.

brad cook

3. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    U2 KILLED!

And most of the rest of the show should have been...

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Did yall hear Bono repeating the word 'live' several times before breaking into the first song? I guess they made their point! :D

5. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    And then four times as they went off the air.

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    anybody got a link?

U2 rules

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I will pick up their new album next week. :bassist:

8. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    got it off the net about two weeks ago, it's great.

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

You are a horrible person :scowl:

:D

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I was out, I just caught "I Will Follow" at the end. What else did they do?

11. Vertigo is a sweet song. The music video is pretty cool too.

12. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Vertigo & You Don't Have to Make It On Your Own

And then some guitar notes as the show cut off.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    This was quite possible the single greatest musical guest performance in ALL of SNL's history. It was utterly fantastic...

If you missed it, I STRONGLY urge anyone who even remotely likes U2 to see this episode... OUTSTANDING!

14. Worked in a UK tribute to U2 five or six nights a week for about 6 months in 2000/2001.

It felt like 6 years.

Truly one of THE most boring experiences of my life. I really do not "get" all the accolades paid to Mr Clayton - distinctly average IMHO but, hey, he has more money that I'll ever SEE, so who is the fool?? :)

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ugh... Yea, I had no idea that Adam Clayton was regarded as a great bassist... Lively & creative bass lines are NOT the cornerstone to U2's success. It's Edge's cutting guitar work & Bono's yoddling.

Either way, the SNL episode was really great...

16. IMO, you do not have to be some improvisational virtuoso to be a great bassist. Most of the great basslines in the history of the electric bass are fairly simple anyway. Clayton is perfect for U2. That in itself makes him a good bass player. With that said, I know where you guys are coming from. There are many out there with better chops and busier lines. But, I am not sure how some of those players would fit into U2's mix.

17. I don't own any of their music (meaning I'm not a huge fan) but it was refreshing to see functional, competent, muscians performing on SNL.

18. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I agree with this. I like U2, but don't own any of their albums but after this I think I'll check out the new one when it comes out.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yeah, it rocked! As I watched them play "Vertigo," I thought okay, Ashlee--are you watching?--this is how it's done!

I liked the surprise encore at the end of the show. They did the usual shot with the cast onstage and the host says thank you, and then Bono runs off to the left, and I realized it was about 5 minutes early. Good choice for them to do a tune from their beginnings.

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Interestingly, I noticed a couple of cast members "welling up" over this performance. It was THAT good...