Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jul 4, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    last night i was watching them live in concert, but i cant remeber where they were, and Bono got a girl to lay on stage with him, whilst he sung. Now is it just me, or do they reall kick @$$ live?

I was just wondering, what are some of their good songs, and what (if there are any) are some good/fun songs to play on bass?. Im sure ive heard them, i just cant put a anme to them. Any help would be great guys.

2. I don't know much about the modern U2 shows but the Joshua Tree Tour ruled very very much! Check out live at the Redrocks (the album is called "under a blood red sky") or the "Rattle and Hum" video for some of the best live U2 stuff.

IMO the best U2 albums are the Joshua Tree, Rattle and hum, the Unforgetable Fire, boy, heck I like 'em all. I like the older albums the most though.

U2 is nice to play along to, the basslines are mostly pretty simple but there are some cool ones, for instance In God's Country, Desire and ofcourse New Years day..... For some reason most of the people hate Adam Clayton's bass playing, but I like his simple style....
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Would that be because he uses all these great basses (fenders, basslabs etc) and plays such simple lines?
  4. I don't know why, his lines maybe simple but they fit U2's sound very nicely. There are some people on this board too that don't like Adam, maybe they can give their reasons for it in this thread?

Anyway Adam Clayton has been a big influence on my playing, he and Larry are one of my fav. rhythm sections around....
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I absolutely love Adam Clayton's playing. The absolute definition of good taste and serving the music. One of the key reasons that U2 works is that all four guys strive to do nothing but serve the collective whole of the music, no matter what instrument they are playing. No showoffs. Very refreshing.

Check out the groove on "Lemon" for example. What a smooth sounding bass line! That's my favorite U2 song.:) My band used to cover "Staring At The Sun" and that sure was fun to play.
  6. we play a couple of U2 songs every now and then in our band too, like New Years Day (my fav Clayton bassline), All that you can't leave behind and Sunday Bloody Sunday, very mucho fun to play.

I was listening to Boy this morning, and was shocked when I saw that this album is from 1980 :eek:! I mean they must have been like 18 or 20 or something and they wrote such great songs like the Electric co. and I will follow, amazing.....
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Adam's playing is very much underrated. For what U2 does, it really fits. With Or Without You maybe the simplest line the world but that's what the song needs. I defy anyone to "improve" the bass part in that song, you can't, the eighth notes are all it needs.

As far as songs with interesting bass parts, I'd pick Mysterious Ways, Seconds is funky (it's on War), some of the live renditons of Bad, also Please has a pretty cool part, and the line in Bullet the Blue Sky is cool. Bullet the Blue Sky is fairly simple but get your drummer to play the drum and the net effect is really cool.
  8. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I think I saw that concert...Wasn't it on the Family Channel? I think they were in Boston or somewhere.

I mostly love old U2 stuff. I have demos and stuff of theirs before "Boy" was even recorded. Raw stuff. They actually sounded a little like a mix between the Sex Pistols and The Cure. LOL. Like any good band, each of their albums are unique. I couldn't really get into "Pop", tho. Oh well...

I'd have a long list of good songs for you, I think my favorite ones at the moment are: "Drowning Man", "Elvis Presley and America", "With Or Without You", "Electric Co.", "The Dream Is Over", "The Unforgettable Fire", "One", "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses", "Lemon", "Out of Control", "A Day Without Me"...well...see...the list goes on...

A bassline I find fun to play is "Some Days Are Better Than Others" and I also like to play "With Or Without You". If you can get a hold of some of their rare demos from before "Boy" there's some great basslines. Simple. But they stand out. Another song is "Heartland" off "Rattle and Hum". It's really the same line played over and over throughout the song, but there's just something about it. The bass actually sounds like a heart beating, heh.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Yeah that's the live show that was recorded for DVD. I have the DVD, it's a great show!