1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UA 2 610 preamp as DI box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by easternbull, Aug 20, 2012.

1. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Anyone out there tried recording your bass thru these beauties from Universal audio, they have gotten some rave reviews, but like most quality preamps are pricy.

I'm in the market for a DI and a dual channel preamp for my homestudio and this would cover both.

http://www.uaudio.com/hardware/mic-preamps/2-610.html

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Not this exact model, but I've used an LA610 with great success before.

3. Phatbottom

Phatbottom

Jan 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I have used the solo 610, which is one side of that model. It is a fantastic DI for both guitar and bass. The mic pre is good but is easily distorted which can be good or bad depending on the application. The sound of the pre is very warm and tubey. It's similar to the classic LA 610 without the compressor (which can be helpful with a microphone).

4. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    thanks for the feedback!

Quality DI's like REDDI or Radial already cost quite a bit so why not fork out on a preamp instead if the DI would only be used in a studio. Or could there still be impeadance issues with a preamp DI for example. Looked at the solo610 and twinfinty from UA, but I need two channels for miking guitars.

The compressors in the LA 610 would be nice but I'm thinking of using the preamp in conjunction with the affordable markbass tube compressore.

5. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Hawthorne, NY
    I use this model for exactly what you want to use it for. Yes it's an awersome preamp that will work out pefrectly.