Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UA LA-610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Jan 9, 2006.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Has anyone tried one of these as a front end for bass? Looks pretty interesting!

+'s are:
    +all tube (a plus only if you like tubes, of course :) )
    +simple, strightforward controls
    +should be a great compressor section
    +it's my impression that UA has a great reputation

-'s
    -eq section is not parametric
    -no effects insert

I've been using an Avalon U5 (live situation) but don't care much for the tone control, and I miss having some compression (lately, I've gone back to using an old ART Levelar-- I prefer leveling amp type compression).

I'm thinking the UA may be the ticket! I'd like a "one box" solution with EQ and compression on board.

I've also considered Millenia TD-1 and Avalon VT737. The TD-1 has no compressor on board. The Avalon's pretty pricey, and I've read some uncomplimentary reviews of the compressor section (admittedly, I read it on a sound engineer's message board).

Factors most important to me:
    *great sound with lots of "depth" (if that term makes any sense-- I like the U5 for this quality, for example)
    *lots of clean gain
    *ability to dial in some "grit" when I want it
    *musical compression section (again, I prefer an LA type)
    *I do like a true tube amp circuit (as opposed to "placebo" tubes that many designs have)

The UA looks intriguing but I'm open to other suggestions. I've even thought about sticking with the U5 for clean gain and it's nice, "deep" DI qualities, adding a an outboard eq (D-Tar, Summit FeQ...?), and a better (quieter) LA type compressor than the ART (perhaps a Summit TLA-50?). The thing is when I add it all up, it might be more cost effective to go with some of the one box front ends (VT737, LA-610, etc).

It would help a lot to hear thoughts on the UA or any others that anyone thinks might fit the bill.

2. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    The la-610 sounds great, but I had several difficulties with the tube used to control the optical compressor in live situations. It seemed like the extreme vibrations of a bass cabinet would mess with its performance on a regular basis (and I tried switching out the tube a couple of times with no better luck). The problem was that once the tube vibrated too much the compression would max out and there would no longer be any way to control it. It was a shame cause it sounded great. Seems to be more well designed strictly for studio use or front of house sound applications.

hope this helps