Ubass silver rumblers overtone issues

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jimboob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Jimboob

Jimboob

Aug 5, 2017
    South Wales,UK
    Hello, long time lurker here, merry Christmas to you all. Sorry if this has been covered before, I’ve searched and also looked through the ubass megathreads found a few things but haven’t been able to solve an issue. I’ve received a set of silver rumblers as an xmas present to go on my Kala hog u bass (2013 model) as I’ve started playing it a lot recently and fancied new strings to try. The problem I’m having is that the E string seems to be suffering from out of tune overtones i.e. it sounds like there are 2 E strings playing at the same time that are slightly out. The rest of the strings are fine and the intonation is good on them also. After a lot of searching on this issue I’ve tried:
    Adjusting the truss rod
    Removing the small plastic shim from under the bridge
    Taking the string off and back on again to see if it was twisted
    Moving the knot at the bridge end of the string to see if that helped

The strings have only been on since yesterday afternoon so maybe it just needs to be broken in but instinct tells me it won’t help the overtone issue. Is there something else I can do that might fix it? Have I got a dud string? Or are the laws of physics just against me on such a short scale instrument? Anyone else experience this with the silver rumblers?

2. That is puzzling to say the least. Did you have the same problem with the original strings, or are those the strings that came with it? My Kala Exotic Mahogany UBass had that problem as well as buzzing on the 1st fret on the D and A strings. I actually went to the Silver Rumblers to solve the problem.

3. Jimboob

Jimboob

Aug 5, 2017
    South Wales,UK
    It came with the pahoehoe which were fine. Over the years I’ve tried thunderguts which were also ok but the sticky ness of the strings that has been well reported got on my nerves so went back to the originals. I’ve also tried a set of labella white nylon that were quickly discontinued, the intonation is way off with those (nearly a fret sharp at the 12th fret!) and and all the strings had the out of tune overtones so they were a no go.

I got the u bass back in 2013, played it a lot but sort of put it away and only in the last few months started playing it more. Then silver rumblers seemed like the best strings to get as the reviews suggested that the tone and tension was more like the thunderguts (which I like) but with less stickyness. So far I’ve found that to be the case. I’m going to wait a bit longer to see if it will settle in and sort itself out. If not it’s back to the pahoehoes or maybe try the thunder reds.

4. Ubasses are somewhat quirky when it comes to finding the right set. If the Rumblers don't settle in you can always go back to Pahoehoes. I currently have Thunderguts on mine and a frestless Hadean ukulele bass. I am enjoying them. Hope the strings work out for you.:bassist:

5. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

It's possible the string is over stretched. I made the mistake of before putting them on, to stretch a set of Pahoehoe by hand, which did something bad because they sounded terrible. I've not done that since and have not had a problem. After trying Thundergut, Thunder Reds, Pyramid and Kala round wound, I've come to the conclusion that the Pahoehoe are my favorite.

6. Jimboob

Jimboob

Aug 5, 2017
    South Wales,UK
    Thanks for the input both. Kohanmike, if the string is over stretched, would you think that it’s beyond fixing the overtone issue? I read recently about not stretching Aquila strings before putting them on so I was careful with the rumblers. However as the E string is so big I had to man handle it a bit to get it in the tuner, so can’t say for sure it wasn’t stretched at that point. I have stretched it a little since when I tried restringing it to see if that made a difference.

Interestingly, the d and g strings came 1 pack and the e and a in another in the main packet for the strings. The D and G are not at all sticky feeling, they feel like pahoehoes but with higher tension. The A and E have a slightly sticky feel to them but nowhere near as sticky as he thunderguts. I’m wondering if they 2 different pairs came from different batches and might explain the issue.

I think I’ll go back to the pahoehoes eventually, I might get a 5 string set and string up BEAD but tune it EADG to see what the tension feels like.

7. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

Yes, if it's overstretched I would replace them.

8. DavidbCan

DavidbCan

Dec 30, 2016
    Toronto Canada
    Hello,
    Jumping on this thread as the topic is UBass strings ... please advise if I should repost elsewhere!

I recently bought a Kala 4 string SUB UBass that had a set of traditional (rubber) white strings that I was having trouble adjusting to. I ended up switching to a set of Kala Silver Plated Roundwound U-Bass Strings which feel great, but since then I have had a HUGE imbalance in the volume between the E string (SUPER LOUD) and the D and G strings that have virtually no volume. Has anyone else tried these strings, and if so have you experienced the same challenges? I originally thought I had messed up the pickup, but I've done some experimenting and I think it's the strings that are at fault.

Any and all input / guidance / suggestions would be appreciated. I love this bass, but since the string switch, it's virtually unplayable!

Thanks,
    David.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022