1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ubass solid body nut width is killing my hand!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jgeary, Oct 23, 2018.

1. jgeary

jgeary

May 16, 2008
    San Diego
    Hi all,
    I haven't posted in a long time, and can't figure out how to post on the gigantic Ubass threads, so sorry for posting here, but, I need help!
    I have small hands, and an injury that is not likely to heal any better than it has. I love the 1.5" nut (I forget the mm) of the Fender Jazz basses, and really dislike the 1.8" nut of the California solid body koa Ubass that I own (has rounds on it). But the fit and finish and tone is great.
    Is there any possible way to change the neck? Kala doesn't respond (they probably think I'm crazy), but I'm assuming this is impossible. The short strings are so fat that I bet that's part of the problem, requiring a wider nut?
    Does anyone know of a Ubass-scale bass that sounds great and has a 1.5" nut width? I keep trying to play my 30" short scale Squier but even that stretch is too difficult for my hand - I really need the shorter of the short scales!

I do have a short 20" scale Timber bass Timber bass.jpg that has a manageable neck width but I dislike the tuners (I've asked - they say they cannot be changed - but they are a great group of folks to deal with) and I like the tone better on the solid Ubass much better.
    Help! And thank you!
    Thanks so much!
    Jill
    San Diego

2. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    It probably wouldn't be hard to have a luthier make you a replacement neck. Also, it's likely possible to narrow the neck but I assume you would have to defret and refret the neck.

Good luck!