1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uber 1288 w/ GK Neo 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vee Dubb, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    G'day all. Your opinions / experience is requested here if you don't mind.
    I've been using the GB 1288 w/ the GK Neo 410 (1st gen) with the GB SM 9.2.
    The 1288 by itself sounds great but does not have the volume I'd like at times. When paired w/ the GK they produce an awesome wall of thick articulate bass tone. However, the 1288 is not as efficient as the GK but it sits fairly well in the over all sound. The GK by itself is only OK with the same EQ settings. It's much louder than the 1288 at equal volume settings as it's more efficient.

My question is would the Über 410 be a better match w/ the 1288 and sound better on its own than the GK? Also I'm trying to figure out the wattage distribution when both cabs are run in 4 ohm load.
    Any an all positive input is appreciated.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    2 of the same is always best. Pick which cab sounds best to you, and double it.

3. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    I did give that a thought which lead to me posting this thread. If I doubled the 1288, I feel like I'd loose tons of volume. 2x 410's is way more rig than I currently need.

Anyone out there gigging with 2x 1288's?
    What's your experience? Help!!!

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Why do you think you would love tons of volume if you double the 1288? Anytime you add another cabinet, you get the benefit of coupling. Plus more drivers move more air. You will not lose volume. Just my opinion.

5. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    Well GR, the audible difference of the 1288 w/o the GK is so noticeable. When the GK is connected the 4 10's sound like a sub and also fills in the sound spectrum. It's almost like the 1288 is muted. I know it's not because the GK by itself doesn't sound that good. The 1288 really does a good job of being articulate and punchy. The two together sound really great.
    When played as a single cab, the 1288 sounds beautiful, however with a noticeable decrease in shear volume. Even when pushed to about 1o'clock on the dial. It sounds good but those low notes aren't as thick, loud and as tight when the two are connected. Because of that I'm afraid that I'd loose volume and some of the tone of the other combo with 2 1288's. At smaller venues the 1288 is PURRRFECT! (coffe houses, small banquet rooms, private indoor house events. )
    I just wish I could hear the two together. Anyone out there running a pair of Über 1288's? Get at me please.

6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Understand your confusion. Maybe this will help. Two cabs together are always going to sound bigger, punchier and louder than one single cab. I had two matching bergantino cabs. One alone was dramatically smaller sounding and had profoundly less volume. Put two together and the sum total of volume, punch and fullness was greater than the sum of the parts. I've done the same thing with aguilar GS112 cabs as well. A 1288 or pair 1288's , or 1288 and 410 is no different.

You might want to see if you can buy a 1288 from a place that takes returns if it doesn't work out. Or best of all, take your 1288 to a Genz shop and try another one with it and answer the question for yourself.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    You have the option of getting a new head, like a Carvin BX1500 (on sale for 499.00) which has two amps, each with it's own volume control.

Not only that, it has an active crossover knob which you can use to direct more lows to the GK and more mids/highs to the Uber. Working much like a PA system with mains + subs, this allows you to make the most efficient use of your speakers.

With 8 ohm cabs you'll be driving each cab with 300w. With 4 ohm cabs, you'll be driving each cab with 450w. Even if the cabs are rated different (ohms, power handling) it doesn't matter because you have separate volume knobs.

If you don't want to do this, IMO it's better to sell the 410 and get an identical UBER cab. Two of them with a good powerful head should cut through any mix with plenty of lows/volume/tone.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    When designing the 1288, we considered this exact situation. I would suggest that you give a listen to the 1288 with an Uber 115 as well as the 410. The 115 has been very popular for this kind of set-up.

9. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    That puts me right back to my original query. Now only if I can find an 8 ohm version of the Über 410 and the 15. With the 410 I can stay modular depending on the gig. I've heard the Über 410 4 ohm and it straight killed the set. Tight, thick & punchy bass w/ nice tone was every where. And it was just one cab powered by a Shuttle 6.0. I was impressed.

10. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    Jeff that Carvin sounds sweet! I haven't even heard of it. Thanks!
    As for amps, I have a SM 9.2 and a GK 1001RB. Both put out some nice power in 4 & 8 ohms. The GB is a lot more articulate while the GK is plenty punchy. I can get a more diverse pallet of tones with the GB than the GK but that GK and my Warwick sounds so sweet together which is why I'm still holding on to it. Hmmm... the GK looks like a good candidate for a trade for the Carvin. I think the versatility of the GB make her a keeper for life. She also records well through the DI and no speakers, just the mix monitors.

What to do?????

11. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    Thanks Guys for the input and feed back. You guys are awesome.
    Time to research that Carvin. I wish it had a bit more power. How's the EQ in that thing too?

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    It is a very well designed amp with loads of power/features. At 599.00 it was a deal, at 499.00 it’s a steal. Perfect amp for mismatched cabs but also work well for identical cabs (1500w in full-range mode).
    Anyway, that Uber is sweet and two of them would kill. I would get a second one and either sell the 410 or keep it as a standalone cab. I can see the 115 working well as a second cab to the 1288, more so than a 410.