1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uber Modified Jazz COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

OK folks, no need for flaming as MUCH discussion occured in this thread before --> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450376 and I will NEVER sell this bass as a Fender (it's true origin will be fully disclosed if I ever go to sell her). There are also other cases where people who did the same thing (made a Fender from parts and labled it as such were not shredded like I was (example --> http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448399 ).

In any case, here is the full list of mods:

- Started with a brand new Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
    - Brand new Fender USA Custom Shop 60's pickups installed
    - Fender 70's "F" logo neck plate
    - New Audere JZ3 3 band pre-amp (Volume, Z-Mode switch, Mid/Balance stack, Treble/Bass stack, LED meter, & Output Jack)
    - Wilkinson Vintage-Style Tuners -which are almst a dead-ringer for the original 70's tuners that came on the Jazz Basses of that era (the stock ones have smaller plates and shorter stems and just didn't look right to me)
    - New upgraded bridge (much heavier) installed (can't remember brand - had it laying around)
    - Schaller strap locks installed
    - New Fender 7150m/s Nickel Rounds Installed
    - Squier logos removed front and back of headstock
    - Fender 70's Jazz logo for headstock
    - Clear coat applied on headstock
    - Full setup by the best setup guy in Maryland (he's also a luthier) IMHO - Ron Carney of Coffey Music (Westminster, MD)

Plays, sounds, feels, etc as good as ANY recently made MIA, MIJ, MIM etc Fender I've played. Ron set this baby up NICE. LOW action, totally free of buzz. Again, no need to go through the Fender logo discussion folks. It got sooo worn out in the last thread on this bass (the link above detailing while I was putting her together), that the mods closed it...

100_1748.gif

100_1756.gif

100_1750.gif

100_1752.gif

100_1755.gif

2. So when are you putting it up for sale :ninja: :smug:

BTW that's Coffey Music not Coffee :)

3. Quadzilla

Time will tell my friend, but for now, she's stayin' in the stable ;) !

4. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

And how much do you have in it?

And how does it compare to pre-modifications, and to current MIA/MIM Fenders?

In your opinion, of course.

5. Looking good Quad!!

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Thats one Squier I would proudly own.

One thing missing to me,

a battery compartment.

7. Wow, it looks great!

Did Fenders from that era actually have the logo that looks like it's fixing to slip off the side of the headstock?

8. You know, it's funny....when Fender first came out with these, I had considered modding one to "resemble" a 75RI....thought about it for a while then said - naw.....and bought a MIA 75RI instead....

Yours is nice looking, though!!

I've just never been confortable with the whole "decal" thing...I'm always afraid that the "Fender Police" will visit me late one night and take me away to Siberia (or some other such vacation spot):D

Congrats!

9. Rickenbacker is the only company that will send you to an exile camp for copying their designs. :ninja:

10. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Where did you get the fender logo for the headstock? I want to change out the rosewood neck on my MIM for a maple, I wanted to get a mighty neck but I can't figure out where to get the logo's from.

Looks awesome!

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Sexy!

12. Quadzilla

I'll have to add everything up, but I'm guessing I have $750 - $800ish into it. I know it sounds silly to spend that kinda dough on a Squier, but I gotta tell ya (again) it WILL hang with any new MIA, MIJ, etc production Fender w/o breaking a sweat.

I'd prob never be able to get a 75' RI (which is what I love) in mint condition with an Audere, upgraded pickups (I love the Fender custom shop 60's pups), etc for that kind of cash. I'd have to spend another $500ish or so for a true 75' RI with those upgrades.

As far as how the Squier was before the mods. Surprisingly good actually. I've always picked up Squiers, plugged em in (if I even got that far after seeing the sub-par construction and poor setup) and thought, to myself that they are generally junk.

That all changed when I picked up this Vintage Modified in the store. Build quality was damn good (better than most MIM Fenders I've picked up) and it felt solid. Setup was reasonable (not great but not bad either). I plugged her in and was DAMN impressed with the stock pickups tone. So I grabbed her and then the madness began! :D

13. Sorry, but you're not stating their intentions correctly.....they won't send you to a exile camp....they WILL, however, send some guy named "Vitto" to visit you......I think I'll take my chances with the Siberia thing.....;)

14. Quadzilla

Dude, she's active. Battery is under the control plate (Audere 3-band preamp)!

15. I have a Fender MIJ jazz bass body that I put an all-parts neck on with a Fender decal. It just looked naked without a logo on the headstock.

The only parts of the entire bass that are made by Fender are the body & neck plate. The rest is alien hardware :)

I have another jazz bass that's a CIJ neck and an MIA body, and the rest is alien hardware. That's the beauty of interchangeable parts.

16. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    but where can get the decals from!?

17. Here's where you (sort of) lose me....I realize that it's a "to each his own" kind of thing, but why buy a 75RI only to mod it up??

I bought mine SPECIFICALLY for the tone that it dishes out....and it's a MIGHTY tone!!:D:D:D

18. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    awesome!!

Thanks man!

19. Quadzilla

I had a 75' RI a while back and didn't dig the pups (and at the time, I was just into other basses). I prefer the tone of the Fender Custom Shop 60's by a long shot. Just my opinion. We all have one :smug: ! Oh and I'm an active guy too. Again, 75' RI's sell for BIG bucks (even used) and then I'd have to buy the pups, an Audere, etc...

When I bought this bass, I really didn't intend to go nutz with it. It just happened over time. A part or two here, another there, etc...

20. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    No problemo, sir. I knew that link would be handy sooner or later.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021