Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

uber stressed with instrument situation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Over the last year, I've been playing guitar. More and more I have been playing, less and less I have been playing bass. I still love bass, it's just that I don't really like to play rock on it. I'll still play in Jazz band and concert band, but I really want to play guitar in a band outside of school.

I got an offer today to be in a band as a bass player. It's classical rock, and I feel I could play, but I'm worried that I would just throw away my guitar playing. I have no idea what I should do. Any advice for me?

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I think if you take it up you'll sort of fall back in love with it, playing rock and playing jazz can be the same thing when you think about it, it's all in the approach you take. If you would really rather play guitar then nothing is stopping you from saying no to them.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'd guess an experienced counselor would say you don't have to have it be "black and white" or "all or nothing" thinking.

You can do both. Guitar and bass are both equally rewarding. Last time I checked, you didn't have to totally quit one instrument to focus on another.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've played both for many years. Some years I concentrate only on one or the other, others I play both equally. I've never found a loss on the one I put down for a while. Usually it's just the opposite, for me; I get better anyway, as long as I keep playing something. Playing music you dig with the best possible players is always a good call, IMO. So if you don't like playing rock bass, that should be your answer, right there: don't dig it, don't do it.

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Need more information: what about playing rock on the bass is not interesting to you?

6. Hard to explain. I think it's because I often played alot of it, and usually I just kinda find it boring, and not melodic at all. With Jazz I have the freedom to know that my lines can be melodic and play off the horns and such. With rock I know I can create great lines, it's just there is usually not alot to bounce off of. Plus, I love creating guitar melodies. The bass itself is not melodic. Sure, jaco made it melodic, but how many modes did he use? Michael manring made it melodic with tunings, but he uses a bass that I can't afford, with special strings.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Classic Rock as far as rock goes is the best stuff to play. It's commonly better written and contains more thoery than current rock bands and artists. Butler, Harris, Bruce, Entwhistle, Mc Cartney, there are hundreds of great bassists in that time era that if your were to transcribe the music you would be satisfied playing those tunes from those artists, at least I am. I know what you mean with jazz but some classic rock bassists aren't no joke! I would give it a try, and keep playing the six string too ....why not! I still beat on my drum kit from time to time, comes in handy when writing originals. Being young play everything and every instrument it will only help you down the road!